• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shocks

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
it seems my XJ is bound to destroy it self, my shocks are either shot or going out. what shocks should i look into when shopping for new ones? i was told i should go with bilstein 5150's or the 7100's.

-Ian

I would not get SkyJacker. They don't give at all. I have a bastard pack and at the time I put it in I did not have shocks. It was boncey as heck and then I put SkyJacker nitro or the hydro on not sure what one. When I go over a speed bump it hits realy hard.

it seems my XJ is bound to destroy it self, my shocks are either shot or going out. what shocks should i look into when shopping for new ones? i was told i should go with bilstein 5150's or the 7100's.

-Ian

I would say those are good choices.A little less, the 5100's are good. Also,check out FOA. Basicly,I think you want the best that will fit your budget.

I always recommend a good rebuildable shock.
bilstein 7100, fox 2.0, sway-a-way, foa.
The ride is fantastic, resale value is great, they last forever.
After 2 vehicles and 6 years of hard use, my rear foxs finally blew out a seal :shocked:
$20 for a rebuild kit and some oil....good as new :D
100_4364.jpg

what would you say the minimum amount of lift would be to run 10in travel shocks? oh and Bilstien dont they have short body shocks and long ones? whats the benefits of either one.

what would you say the minimum amount of lift would be to run 10in travel shocks? oh and Bilstien dont they have short body shocks and long ones? whats the benefits of either one.

fitment is #1 benefit of short/long body shocks... when i took my measurements, fox was the closest to my desired length, and i went with fox, couldnt be happier... the 5150's are a great bang-for-buck, and are half the price of pretty much anything else w/ a reservoir... foa is a smaller company from vegas, http://f-o-a.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_27&products_id=4 as far as skyjacker, you should get banned from this sub-forum for recommending shit like that for a jeepspeed... as you obviously dont know anything worth sharing w/ others...

also, if your running them above the rear floor, you can run up to a 16' shock, as your upper mount can be as high as possible.... as long as you dont bumpstop, or limit droop w/ the shock, your fine.

also, if your running them above the rear floor, you can run up to a 16' shock, as your upper mount can be as high as possible.... as long as you dont bumpstop, or limit droop w/ the shock, your fine.

just a note on that, 7100's are meant to be limiting factors in travel.
though that's more for the rock crawling crowd.
I don't think it'd work too well for high speed stuff.

just a note on that, 7100's are meant to be limiting factors in travel.
though that's more for the rock crawling crowd.
I don't think it'd work too well for high speed stuff.

while that may be true... if your shocks limit your droop, that means your sheetmetal limits droop... which wouldnt be a problem unless you air the jeep often... in which case, you have a cage and hydro's. Imho, more damage is to be had from bumpstopping on the shocks than drooping em out. i think its safe to say, if you beat the crap outta your rig, dont rely on the 7100's as a limit strap, even if they could theoretically take some abuse. i would love photo's of how the 7100's shafts enter the shock, i know for a fact i wouldnt want my fox 2.0's being my limit strap.....

as far as skyjacker, you should get banned from this sub-forum for recommending shit like that for a jeepspeed... as you obviously dont know anything worth sharing w/ others...
I'm not sure anyone here recommended Skyjacker...the only mention before you was someone saying don't get Skyjacker.

Same specs as the 5150 but no res.

http://www.onefreeshock.com/

yeah i currently have the 5100s i would recommend them they work great the guy i bought them from said not to bother with the 5150s cus they "disposable" shocks meaning they cant be rebuilt... i dunno i took his advice and got the cheaper ones (5100) kinda wish i got the 5150s tho just cus they look cool...

if you want bang for your buck shop used. rebuild kits for shocks are less than 30 bux, and you can get killer deals on old race truck schocks, or ones that people just go tired of and went another direction. then you just rebuild em and have them valved for what you want to do. the shocks in the back of my XJ probably cost close to if not more than $1000 brand new, i got them used for $300.

IM001198.jpg

IM001199.jpg

yeah i currently have the 5100s i would recommend them they work great the guy i bought them from said not to bother with the 5150s cus they "disposable" shocks meaning they cant be rebuilt... i dunno i took his advice and got the cheaper ones (5100) kinda wish i got the 5150s tho just cus they look cool...

I was told the same thing buy my sales guy. I used the poor economy to work him over and got my 5150's for $10. ea. more then the 5100's. I got them for $100.00 ea.

I want the 7100's but didn't have the $$ for all of them so I am going to buy 7100's by the each as the 5150's go bad.

Dave

so i should get the 5100's rather than 5150's so that i can rebuild the shocks. i'll really start looking alot more seriously after i move to Georgia.

and i've been out doing some jumps in my XJ, i finally worked up the courage to hit something that would get all four tires off the ground. and im impressed, my jeep faired alot better than i thought. the landing was soo soft that my crappy radio didnt skip on the CD. lol

Back