• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running temp.

tommyboy

NAXJA Forum User
What is the stock operating temperature of all your guys' rigs? Minus extra fans or over ride aux fans, just stock temp. What is it supposed to be?

If you are worried about 210+ turn the heater on to act as a second radiator. Better yet turn on a/c or defrost, this will kick the electric fan on.

Stock 2000 runs at 210 on the gage. Interesting enough, I played around with my laser temp gage. Sensor in tstat hsg checked 230, housing itself checked 200, rad top and bottom hoses were both 150, heater hoses were 190, back of head (near where RENIX sensor would be) was 190.

Well I have my aux fan wired to override but I'm just curious because sometimes I forget to turn it on and it shoots up to 210 and I hate that. I've replaced the thermostat and the top hose but to no avail so I might buy a thicker radiator.

Why? Everyone just told you that is normal. Running cooler is not necessarily better. It is probably worse. It leads to richer mixture, lower gas mileage, and washed down cylinder walls.

one other option to stabilizing operating temp is the Hesco water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing. i swapped it in 45K miles ago and wish i'd done it sooner. basically it provides better flow once the thermostat opens and holds the operating temp around 195-200 better than my stock system did. the stock system tended to creep up in temp rapidly when off road and/or in the summer. now, even when running the a/c when poking around off road, the engine rarely exceeds 210, and also comes back down faster than before once the aux fan comes on. 2001 XJ btw. good luck w/ your project.

Well I have my aux fan wired to override but I'm just curious because sometimes I forget to turn it on and it shoots up to 210 and I hate that. I've replaced the thermostat and the top hose but to no avail so I might buy a thicker radiator.
As eveyone has said you really have no worries. The 4.0 was designed to run at 210. That's what it wants, thats what it needs. Stop thinking it's an issue.

I k ow you guys say it runs at 210 but like I said earlier it will go over at times, then the next day it will be at 210 while in the same driving condition as well as weather. So is that bad or what?

one other option to stabilizing operating temp is the Hesco water pump, thermostat, and thermostat housing. i swapped it in 45K miles ago and wish i'd done it sooner. basically it provides better flow once the thermostat opens and holds the operating temp around 195-200 better than my stock system did. the stock system tended to creep up in temp rapidly when off road and/or in the summer. now, even when running the a/c when poking around off road, the engine rarely exceeds 210, and also comes back down faster than before once the aux fan comes on. 2001 XJ btw. good luck w/ your project.[/QUOTE/]
What's a doohickie setup like that cost?

You can improve the flow on your housing with a $5-10 grind stone kit from Home Depot(use with a drill), spend $10 on a Robert Shaw or Stant balanced t-stat from your local autoparts store and I guess you already have the better flowing water pump(compared to earlier year XJs).

Back