• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Momentary sputtering

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone had their ride sputter a little just a couple minutes after starting cold then not again until it's cold again? It's a '92 AW4 california vehicle. This just started happening in the last week or so. It seems to be running quite rich also. I'm thinking the fuel pump might be going bad but I want to hear about anybody else's experiences like this.

Assuming no check engine light?

I would start by testing the coolant temperature sensor which can alter fuel/air ratio. If the input signal from that sensor is bad, computer changes ratio. Best way to test it is to remove it and test it in a beaker of water with a calibrated thermometer but you can do some basic resistance testing while still installed and compare to factory resistance numbers for varying temperatures to see if you're in the ballpark.

Checking fuel pressure at the fuel rail is never a bad idea. Neither is reviewing tuneup hardware of plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter.

It's not the fuel pump. If you think you're running rich, you could check your fuel pressure. If it's too high, it would be the fuel pressure regulator. If you ARE actually running rich, your spark plugs would be dark. Pull one out and take a look.

Back