• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question about timing cover

Shorty

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I'm about to change harmonic balancers and can't for the life of me remember if I can pull the timing cover without having to remove the water pump. I'd like to check the chain and gears, but don't want to drain the coolant and pull the pump unless it's a must.

do I have to remove the water pump to pull the timing cover??

Nope, no need to pull the WP, but getting the HB out without pulling the radiator to make room for the HB puller would be a trick. There may be a way to do it but I don't see how.

Hi,
I changed my 93 XJ HB about 12 months ago and managed without removing the radiator, I don't remember any special problems. Hope this helps.

Nope, no need to pull the WP, but getting the HB out without pulling the radiator to make room for the HB puller would be a trick. There may be a way to do it but I don't see how.

I've got a homemade puller that I'm pretty confident will fit. It's just some flat stock and pretty short bolt through the center-- had to get creative when I welded the front clip on the race car before I re-cammed the engine and was too lazy to pull the thing back out. Thanx for the info, I'm headding to work and will be wrestling with the balancer tonight after everything is closed and didn't want any unnecessary surprises!:wave1:

one more stupid question:

what the heck, I'll hijack my own thread--

Does anyone have a source for the timing chain guide on the inside of the timing cover? I've never looked for it before, but I don't recall ever seeing it listed anywhere. --'88 4.0l if it matters

Hesco has it listed on their website, you should check with NAPA and the dealership.

yeah, I found it in the strangest place-- on the shelf at work (I run a parts store)

the inbred schmucks in the home office cataloged it as a timing "belt" guide....

S.A. Gear number 7337 if anyone needs one in the future.

Back