• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a ? about vac lines

chrslefty

NAXJA Forum User
hey if i could get some input . im doing a renix to ho swap and im just trying to get all of the vac lines sorted out .i have almost everything figured out exceot this rats nest of vac lines ! i think that these ones control the egr valve but im not certian . what are your toughts ?
the lines in question .
chrissjeepstuff017.jpg

its the ones coming off of the vac line manifold ,going to the modual on the fire wall .
if they are for the egr they will just be deleted .
please go easy on the other crap in my engine bay !
thankx for all of your help

If you mean to the solinoid on the fender well, they are for the egr valve. Mine disappeared, last weekend:)

...and of those, only the MAP (at the top of the drawing) and the fuel pressure regulator (at the bottom) are really important.

The vac line coming off the valve cover is pretty good to have, too...

Good luck!

Robert

If you mean to the solinoid on the fender well, they are for the egr valve. Mine disappeared, last weekend:)
might not want to tell people around here that you are altering pollution devices - apparantly its illegal and guys here are VERY SENSITIVE about this - trust me they didn't like my hollowed cat idea!

might not want to tell people around here that you are altering pollution devices - apparantly its illegal and guys here are VERY SENSITIVE about this - trust me they didn't like my hollowed cat idea!

You're right, it is technically an emissions device, and disabling it might throw a fault code on a later model rig, thus violating the letter of the law.

However. An egr is a far cry from a cat. Disabling the egr will have a negligible effect on real-world emissions, Jon (5-90) once showed an improvement in emission levels after eliminating his.

The so-called "gutted cat" is a whole different level. You'll increase emissions to the point where you won't have to measure them: you'll be able to smell it as you drive down the street. And so will every Dick and Jane you pass, whose reaction will be something like this:

"What in god's name is that unholy STENCH? Oh, it's that redneck 4x4. Those guys don't give two squirts about the environment."

An unplugged egr isn't going to have the same effect, and isn't likely to get the same reaction.

Robert

Just as I tell my son. "You should learn sonething new everyday." And I just did myself. I have some serious vac. probs. gonna try a couple of those things this weekend. Wasn't even my post. Thanks guys.:worship:

You're right, it is technically an emissions device, and disabling it might throw a fault code on a later model rig, thus violating the letter of the law.

However. An egr is a far cry from a cat. Disabling the egr will have a negligible effect on real-world emissions, Jon (5-90) once showed an improvement in emission levels after eliminating his.

The so-called "gutted cat" is a whole different level. You'll increase emissions to the point where you won't have to measure them: you'll be able to smell it as you drive down the street. And so will every Dick and Jane you pass, whose reaction will be something like this:

"What in god's name is that unholy STENCH? Oh, it's that redneck 4x4. Those guys don't give two squirts about the environment."

An unplugged egr isn't going to have the same effect, and isn't likely to get the same reaction.

Robert
True...but what about all the Harley Davidson motorcycles (I work at an H-D Dealer) that leave the dealerships brand new with aftermarket exhaust on them - even slip ons that remove the factory "catalyst mufflers" or full systems that eliminate the O2 sensors altogether? There are thousands of these machines out there - WAAAY more than Jeeps running around like that. Oh well.

Back