• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

grinding noise! help please

championjeep

NAXJA Forum User
to start its a 98 4.0 auto with np231 TC and the chrysler rearend. there is a pretty loud grinding noise coming from underneath,sounds like the rear but hard to really tell. it also makes a howling noise making left turns. it does it coasting in neutral as well. its driving me crazy trying to solve this. ive replaced all wheelbearings front and back. changed differential fluid front and back and everything looked ok to me no metal flakes or anything.checked my brakes front and back for anything loose or out of place and nothing.well i noticed a bit of play where the rear driveshaft goes into the transfercase so i changed all the ujoints in my driveshafts and there id still some play in the rear driveshaft going into the transfercase. is there suppose to be any play there? idk id know the grinding is still there. the only other thing i think it could be is maybe the carrierbearings. should i replace the rear output shaftbearing in my transfercase befor i go buying a rearend or am i wasting my time thinking it might be the TCbearing? im about to give up and put it over a cliff.

Back