• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Mounting Questions

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to order some shocks, so I'm looking through TNT's JeepSpeed album for some inspiration on mounts and a question came up...

Which orientation is preferred; with the mounts perpendicular to the axle, or parallel? Here's a couple examples:

Perpendicular:
Picture719.jpg

Parallel:
Picture731.jpg

And should the upper and lower be the same or different?

Much thanks!
Billy

you want them perpendicular so that when the it flexes the bushing is spinning on the bolt instead of getting squished...
otherwise you'll go through bushings super fast

you want them perpendicular so that when the it flexes the bushing is spinning on the bolt instead of getting squished...
otherwise you'll go through bushings super fast

Ooops, I should have mentioned... I'm leaning toward some shocks with the bling heim joint ends :)

Maybe that's why the JeepSpeed guys seem to be putting them parallel more often?
dunno.gif

Thanks guys,
Billy

Ooops, I should have mentioned... I'm leaning toward some shocks with the bling heim joint ends :)

Maybe that's why the JeepSpeed guys seem to be putting them parallel more often?
dunno.gif

Thanks guys,
Billy

I guess it's probably that, and the fact that their axles are drooping straight down instead of articulating one side at a time.
Billy

You definitely want to mount perpendicular, the axle doesn't move front to back enough to warrant mounting it the other way. The heim will take up that slack. Even if it's a heim joint you still want to keep the least amount of stress possible on it, and least amount of movement = less wear. The first picture is exactly how mine are:

DSCF3238.jpg

DSCF3246.jpg

Rich (fordguy) helped me out and fabbed mine up. Also chopped the end of the bracket off to allow more droop without the control arm hitting.

Your first picture is from my rig build, if you're going to run a poly bushing then I'd recommend keeping them in a parallel plane. If you run a heim style bushing, it's not much on an issue.

that would be decent to setup some shocks like that on my front end... but how do you fix the top mount to make it look like the bottom? have an adaptor kind of like your quick disco's?

that would be decent to setup some shocks like that on my front end... but how do you fix the top mount to make it look like the bottom? have an adaptor kind of like your quick disco's?

this:
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKCONV&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

or this:
http://www.tandjperformance.com/products/barnet/xjsmc.shtml

or some other custom setup you want to come up with, but i bet at least 80% of jeepspeeders are using one of those two setups.

this:
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SHOCKCONV&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

or this:
http://www.tandjperformance.com/products/barnet/xjsmc.shtml

or some other custom setup you want to come up with, but i bet at least 80% of jeepspeeders are using one of those two setups.

i like the bottom one, but the top ones alot cheaper =) i'd just have to find some way to do my bottom, i still got to get over my fear of cutting stuff off my jeep.

If you are afraid if cutting your Jeep just ask one of the other members. There are a ton of them in your area. I like the bottom style and have some scrap steel I can cut them from. Gring them clean. Then I'll just fire up the welder and burn them in. Total cost about 5.00 for paint and the welding wirer and gasses that get used.

I have always liked XJeepers lower mounts.

I picked up the JKS conversion for the top this morning, so now I just need to figure out the bottom. I am going to have to get a little more creative with it than XJeeper's setup because the coil bucket hangs too far over the control arm mount. That, and I've got to raise it up about 2" above the control arm bolt.

Anybody have any other pics or ideas?

Thanks!
Billy

my airshocks would bind under articulation if I had the bolt on the axle running parallel with the axle.

Make the upper mount to whatever is the easiest for you, make the lower perpendicular to the axle.

take a look at Jes' front axle build - his lower shock mounts worked pretty well.

my airshocks would bind under articulation if I had the bolt on the axle running parallel with the axle.

Make the upper mount to whatever is the easiest for you, make the lower perpendicular to the axle.

take a look at Jes' front axle build - his lower shock mounts worked pretty well.

Here's Jes' (or maybe CRASH's) for reference...
standard

Unfortunately, it won't work for me because my coil bucket would be hitting the shaft of the shock.

Billy

Here's Jes' (or maybe CRASH's) for reference...

Unfortunately, it won't work for me because my coil bucket would be hitting the shaft of the shock.

Billy

That would be mine.
Just wondering, why is your coil bucket in the way? Your lower link mounts mounted farther in or forward, or your coil buckets mounted farter out or both?
Could you make longer shock tabs so that they're spaced farther out?

That would be mine.
Just wondering, why is your coil bucket in the way? Your lower link mounts mounted farther in or forward, or your coil buckets mounted farter out or both?
Could you make longer shock tabs so that they're spaced farther out?

I'll get a picture when I get home. The coil bucket is in the way because it's dead center over the axle tube instead of being ahead of it like stock. The control arm bracket is not quite long enough to mount the tabs to. There is plenty of room to mount something similar to the second picture I posted (in the first post), but I've only seen a design like that with a parallel mounting bolt.
Thanks,
Billy

Just for the record, my coil buckets are centered above the axle tube and are about 37.25"s center to center.

Just for the record, my coil buckets are centered above the axle tube and are about 37.25"s center to center.

Hmmm... well, I have a little more room than I remembered. I moved the axle back a tad.

Here are the pics. These were taken at full bump (both sides at once) and my shocks will be 16" collapsed.

28bekas.jpg

167qwc4.jpg

The tape is not angled like the shock would be (a little at least).

What do you guys think?
Billy

Back