• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which front axle for swap?

Crewdude007

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to get rid of my lp30. Currently running 4.88s and 35s and probably not going any bigger than that. I've thought about a hp30 and rubi lp44, but I've heard there isn't going to be much difference other than clearance issues. I don't want to dump a ton of money into this, but I want something that I can trust. A manual hub option would be nice down the line too. What should I do?

An HP D30 is the cheapest, easiest choice. It should hold up fine under moderate wheeling with 35" tires. The manual hub kits are expensive (about $1K) and IMO not worth the money in that it's still just a D30. If manual hubs are really important, go with D44. Older 44s have stronger housings than the 30 (the Rubi ones are the same tubes and ends as a 30, only the pumpkin is different, and no manual hubs either)

HP D44s out of Ford trucks are the most popular for this swap, but you'll spend a bit to source and build one. Waggy D44s are probably the cheapest D44 you can source for a swap, but they're low pinion.

Back