• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone use landing lights offroad???

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
A customer gave me a pair of aircraft landing lights. They are in housings that look like the round 5" chrome harbor freight lights. I pulled them apart to paint them. They have a sealed GE light that says aircraft landing not for high way use. They are 13v 100w. I hooked one to the battery in my subi and just one illuminated a tree about a 1/4 mile down my street. They seem to have a fairly focused beam. but I think that these will work great in conjunction with a wider focusing pair of lights.

Very nice!

I know a guy who had a single aircraft landing light mounted on the flat part of his fender on his TJ. He said it was bright as hell, but I never saw him turn it on.

i had some, but they aren't rated for that many hours of use and are expensive to replace

This is the thing I would worry about. Im an aircraft mechanic and these lights arent used for a long time continuously. Maybe 30 mins to an hour but thats about it. Otherwise, Ive thought about using some 727 landing lights, but unfortunately they are 24V so no go. If you got them for free...no harm in trying it out tho!

If they die, you could buy a new set of lights for the price of just the bulbs. I bought the squarish ones from walmart (that say BAJA on the covers) and they work great for what they are.

Back