• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no spark

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know about he search option been there......

99 xj 4.0L

well it's not the crank position senser thats $80 outa my pocket and it's staying on the jeep took me 3 hrs to put it on.. and not the pickup coil in the distributor.... I checked all the fuses all good..... anyone know what it might be I have been fighting this thing for 2 days spent about $200 so far. if anyone know let me know it's driveing me nuts this is my DD.

new plugs , new wires, cap & rotor, pickup coil in didtributor, coil, CPS, even tried wifes '96 CPU on it still no spark. engine turns over strong and I can smell fuel.

i'll agree with winterbeater here, do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail? looks like you checked everything but the fuel pump. there is a small schraeder valve on the fuel rail above the intake manifold. take the cap off of it and push it in like a tire valve, you should get a little bubbling of fuel coming out. if not, you most likely have a bad fuel pump. when they go out, they usually just stop working one day out of the blue. it seems like you've checked everything else, thats where i would put my money.

good luck, and keep us updated.

Sounds like a tough one...ASD relay may be bad...open circuit maybe between the CPS and PCM...or any sensor can bring down the +5volt sensor power circuit.
You can unplug sensors to see if it changes no spark sympton.
Best thing to do is get out your volt/ohm multimeter and start checking all the basics.
Power at PCM, all grounds, +5v at sensors, signal from PCM...

Do you have 12v going to the injectors when cranking? The ASD relay contols voltage to the coil and injectors. It sends voltage when cranking and for 3 seconds on run circuit, but then shuts off if no signal from the PCM which needs the CPK signal. Have you checked the ASD relay. I think you can swap them out with the other similar relays next to it.

Looks like McQue and I have the same idea, but I type slower.

Clean the crankshaft position sensor connector near the #6 injector/firewall with electrical contact cleaner. They can get dirty and develop resistance which can inhibit the crank sensor signal from making it to the computer.

Last edited:
Recent post I saw on a thread here said the ASD relay is not the same as others, has ASD embossed in it. Check yours.

Back