• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JEEP lean

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
So yes I have the famous jeep lean! I have re 4.5 inch packs and adjustable shackles, its sitting about an inch low on the rr corner. It makes it noticeable from the front and back. I have moved my sub and gearbox to the opposite site, but still leans. Probably not a good idea to adjust one shackle to the next hole? Or just slide another small leaf in there? or just quit being picky and drive it?

I had the same issue when I got my new XJ. I just put an extra small leaf in the rr leaf pack and it did the trick. I'm pretty sure they are just anti-wrap leafs anyways and it didn't noticeably effect ride quality or flex. I'm not sure if this would be the "proper" way to do it but it worked alright for me.

New leaf pack? used leaf pack? remember if it's used RR is the torque side.

well new in june of last year re packs. I figured the drivers side would settle out but nope!

Mine does this too...but its woth the original springs that are now 18 years old. I saw a post on here a while back about the same jproblem with the same lift and i think the guy just swapped the left pack to the right and the right to the left and it seemed to do the trick. You may be able to find it if you search. I just plan on leaving mine that way until i get my lift. It doesnt seem to effect driving or anything...

I've got coils in the rear and have a little bit of lean also. I think it must be from the torque/centrifugal force form the engine.

So you installed last yr, did it lean then? sounds like torque lean. try swappin sides, if that doesn't work, you can ad a leaf or 2 or block it. good luck.
Did not notice any lean at first, came later.

Swap right spring to left spring. When you accellerate, the xj squats to the RR. Swap em left to right to abuse the opposite spring.

sweet, thanks for the advice! didn't think that would cause it!

Most XJs do this, and swapping the springs side to side usually helps. Sometimes it doesn't though, and you've wasted a bunch of time and effort. Mine sits a little over an inch lower on the RR. I'm hoping my fatass combined with a tool box in the LR will offset it, but if it doesn't, it's no big deal.

I have a bit of this issue as well. In addition my spare tire site to the right side of the rear bumper. My plan in to install one extra leaf on that side.

well, all vehicles create a certain amount of "torque lean" and or "torque steer"... the more HP/Torque the more the engine lifts and transfers the torque or twisting motion upon launch.

The mid-sixties factory Hemi super stock cars came with 6-leafs on the rear driver side and 7-leafs on the rear passenger side to handle the weight transfer... which was a result of 600HP/700TQ being transfered through the driveline and unibody chassis.

I don't know, I think this Jeep leaning effect is more about poor quality springs than HP/TQ or weight transfer...

hell, my 2009 Jeep SRT has torque steer, pulls hard to the left, raises the front driver side and transfers weight to the rear passenger side with conviction... and doesn't lean when parked.

go figure...

well, all vehicles create a certain amount of "torque lean" and or "torque steer"... the more HP/Torque the more the engine lifts and transfers the torque or twisting motion upon launch.

The mid-sixties factory Hemi super stock cars came with 6-leafs on the rear driver side and 7-leafs on the rear passenger side to handle the weight transfer... which was a result of 600HP/700TQ being transfered through the driveline and chassis.

I don't know, I think this Jeep leaning effect is more about poor quality springs than HP/TQ or weight transfer...

hell, my 2009 Jeep SRT has torque steer, raises the front driver side, pulls hard to the left and transfers weight to the rear passenger side with conviction... and doesn't lean when parked.

go figure...

I didnt have this issue went stock,or throughout the build, it wasnt until it became more capable I started to notice it. I had a budget leaf pack with add a leafs and a small block and it started leaning, upgraded to 4.5 inch springs and wheeled hard, same lean,same side. I dont thing a sports car sees the stresses for as long, whereas a crawling jeep can be flexed while under power,stuck etc, or just trying to get up that ledge while loading up the rearend. makes sense to me

I didnt have this issue went stock,or throughout the build, it wasnt until it became more capable I started to notice it. I had a budget leaf pack with add a leafs and a small block and it started leaning, upgraded to 4.5 inch springs and wheeled hard, same lean,same side. I dont thing a sports car sees the stresses for as long, whereas a crawling jeep can be flexed while under power,stuck etc, or just trying to get up that ledge while loading up the rearend. makes sense to me

I hear ya, I just had this discussion about "lean" with Currie and Deaver and they have their opinions about this issue with lower cost spring packs... and raised a valid question; is the spring designed to settle to the specified height or designed for the specified height?

I know when I buy a new car it takes a really long time for the springs to sag resulting in 1" side-to-side lean variation... and that's even on vehcles that have high HP/Torque engines.

I know the higher you go the more opportunity there is for variation... so maybe this is a function of quality?

2-14.jpg

I'm gonna jam a 2 " add-a- leaf in there for now. will update. People always buggin me bout the stupid lean

So yes I have the famous jeep lean! I have re 4.5 inch packs and adjustable shackles, its sitting about an inch low on the rr corner. It makes it noticeable from the front and back. I have moved my sub and gearbox to the opposite site, but still leans. Probably not a good idea to adjust one shackle to the next hole? Or just slide another small leaf in there? or just quit being picky and drive it?
Stop carrying fat chicks in your rig :D

Sorry, had to do it!

Back