• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRANS HELP

WHITE93

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 93 cherokee with the inline 6. i am not sure what trans it has i cant find a tag or id on it. i am having problems with it shifting. i have looked into this and the only thing i can find is people with problems down shifting. well miine does not want to up shift. i checked the fluid not bad and deff not burnt. so i took it to a shop and was going to have it flused to be safe. they told me they wouldnt take my $100 to do it because it was not needed. so here it is. fisrt to second shifts fine. second to third holds till around 3300 third to od holds till a little after 4000. the trans does not slip at all and upder full throttle it shifts fine at the normal points. its when im driving around town at low rpms when it holds the gears for a long time. any help would be great i really dont have the money to have it torn down now and i really dont want to spend it because im building a new project with my 99 xj i picked up thanks again

You have an AW4. Shift points are a bit high. What size tires are you running? Coupd be anything from you TPS to the kickdown cable needing adjustment. That will def cause the shifts to shift too soon or late.

try the turbine sensor. thats what blew out on my heap

What the heck is a turbine sensor?

The most likely culprit is the throttle position sensor, or TPS sensor. It's about $35, and is very easy to get to and replace. It's very much like an old analog volume knob and they do get dead spots and wear out.

You could also swap the sensor with the one in the 99 to check if that resolves the problem. I'm about 90% sure they're the same part number.

idk wut the heck it is. but i pulled one out and the guy was like that be your turbine sensor. and we tested it and it was bad. after replacing this sensor the jeep ran fine

You could also swap the sensor with the one in the 99 to check if that resolves the problem. I'm about 90% sure they're the same part number.

Okay, I'm wrong. RockAuto shows different part numbers between a 93 an 99. Looks like it changed in 96/97. The good news is that the 93 TPS is only $23 from RockAuto and 5% coupon codes are easy to google.

Back