• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3550 strange shift problem

SKJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a NV3550 tranny behind my 2,5ltr 4 headed 4banger (2,5turbodiesel) and for couple of days i have a strange shift problem, or problems

sometimes i can not shift to "forward" gears. With forward gears i mean the 1. 3 and 5-th gear, also the gears shifted moving the shifter towards front of the car.
As i play with the shifter, moving it forth and back, then suddenly is everything ok. Sometimes i can feel a little "knack" or so, asi if there was something to block the shifter from moving freely to the desired position. It happens suddenly, sometimes i can shift 100 times without a problem, sometimes it happens every second shift attempt....

2. the other problem (since yesterday), sometimes when i try to shift to one of the "forward" gears 1-3-5 , the shifter moves wery hard,the feeling is like pushing it onto some rubber or thick jelly. The same thing happens when shifting out of the gear. It shifts, does not make any strange noise,
the car rides as did before.... only the stupid feeling of the unnecessary force applied on uwanted place
This appears suddenly, tranny hot or cold, and again, when i "mesh" with the shifter, it helps for a while. Or, when i shift with double coupling, it also helps, but only partially.

Seems to me like some bushing in the shifter linkage and worn synchro rings. Anybody an idea?

yes, and clutch is OK and proper tranny fluid is on level.

If it was an AX15 it would sound like someone put in GL5 gear oil and it ate the synchros. The first thing I would check would be the master clutch cylinder, see if it has fluid, if you have a leak that could be a problem, second thing I would check would be to make sure there is oil int the tranny itself.
I know if I get lazy and don't push the clutch down all the way mine is hard to shift.

clutch is OK (it has only 10kmiles or so)
master/slave cylinder assy is also new (that stupid one-piece crappy plastic one)

fluid level is ok. NV3550 uses special fluid, which is hard to get here, so
i am stuck with $$$ original Mopar from stealership

clutch is OK (it has only 10kmiles or so)
master/slave cylinder assy is also new (that stupid one-piece crappy plastic one)

fluid level is ok. NV3550 uses special fluid, which is hard to get here, so
i am stuck with $$$ original Mopar from stealership

Make sure they used the mopar stuff and did not substitute it with cheaper and charge you more. I believe you can now use 10W30 motor oil in it too. I did not think the NV trannies suffered from the yellow metal synchro's.

Make sure they used the mopar stuff and did not substitute it with cheaper and charge you more. I believe you can now use 10W30 motor oil in it too. I did not think the NV trannies suffered from the yellow metal synchro's.

i did the fluid change myslef
i had only to build the fluid there
it was factory sealed original mopar labeled package

as far as i know pennzoil syncromesh can be used, do not kow anything about motor oil

Im on my second nv3550, the first 2 years of the transmission 2001-2002, from what I understand there was a problem with it. It would kick out of 1st gear sometimes and the shifter would feel mushy. I replaced it with one out of a 2004 wrangler, and after researching it on the web and talking to the local standard transmission rebuilders , I now use 30 weight non-detergent motor oil instead of the $15 mopar wonder oil. So far I have had no problems, it is a little stiff below freezing.

87 4.0

Back