• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will I be okay?

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
A question you have probably all herd before. Will I be okay? D30/D35 open/open 4.5" lift 32"-33" tires, moderate wheeling and mall crawlin' and highway cruising.

A question you have probably all herd before. Will I be okay? D30/D35 open/open 4.5" lift 32"-33" tires, moderate wheeling and mall crawlin' and highway cruising.

no

Why not just wheel it til you break the 35. I just put my lift and tires on
(3"/ 33x12.5) and I plan to play around with it til my 35 breaks. I know it will eventually crap out, but what the hell.

Why not just wheel it til you break the 35. I just put my lift and tires on
(3"/ 33x12.5) and I plan to play around with it til my 35 breaks. I know it will eventually crap out, but what the hell.

Because then your "that guy" and have to fix it on the trail in who knows what conditions? :dunno:

~Scott

Because then your "that guy" and have to fix it on the trail in who knows what conditions? :dunno:

~Scott

Ehhh, I guess you are right. Who wants to be that guy. I am just bitter cause I can't afford a swap!

The vast majority of people are going to tell you that it won't last. And they are correct, it is not a good long term solution. However, assuming your D35 is out of your 89 it is a non c-clip axle that is better and slightly stronger than most D35's. I wheeled mine open for several years and then locked for another 1 or two before selling it (it didn't last long after selling it unfortunately). I always carried spare shafts.

The truth is that it isn't a great idea, and it won't last forever. But that doesn't mean if you are nice to it and leave it open that it couldn't last several years also.

Just my experience

Michael

PS. I know when to keep off the gas also!!

Well... I'm on the hunt for a Cherokee D44. First I will lift it and then we will see what happens from there. It will eventually be done. Think I should be good if i swap out the rear only?

I have searched, just tying up some loose ends. + I'm horrible at searching. But I guess practice makes perfect.

current build:
89XJ
Not finished Bumper
4.0 I6 Renix
D35 Rear open
D30 Front open
235/75/R15
Np231 T-cas

To come:
RE 4.5" Superflex
D44 Rear
ARB Air Locker
Swing Away tire carrier/bumper
32-35" BFG M/T KM2's

It's OK. I realize your excitement, but I think a good way to get through here is to hang out for a while and soak in the info while poking around a bit. It's funny how we're taught to ask questions from the time we're little babies, but as soon as we get on the Internet others get bent out of shape. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the info on these sites don't go away, so there's no real need to ask the 'common' questions frequently. I've been here since 2003, for example, and I could probably count the amount of actual 'tech' threads I've started...on one hand. I've gained so much info by looking around and reading various topics...

Yeah... Something that i felt never got answered out right. I get confused easily with threads :p well time to find a D44 to throw under my heep.

Yeah... Something that i felt never got answered out right. I get confused easily with threads :p well time to find a D44 to throw under my heep.
Know anybody that can weld?

(ahhh and the saga continues..Hasta)

Back