• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric window...Oh snap!!!

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
1990 Cherokee Limited, power everything.

I took my wife to lunch on Saturday, I drove. While we were out the driver's electric window stopped rolling down. I was driving, so naturally it was all my fault.

I was hesitant to look at it because I went through the trouble of removing the passenger side regulator 2 years ago; it made me cry. On Tuesday she persuaded me to look and see what the problem is. I found that one of the wires had broken off where it went into the electric motor:

Ohsnap1.jpg

Since it looks like the harness is not serviceable where it enters the motor, I went fishin' in a box of computer parts and came up with a tiny sheet metal screw. It looked like it would fit the inside of the wire conducter that broke off in the motor. I crimped an eye on the wire and went to town with the screw.

Ohsnap2.jpg

So far, so good! It should buy me enough time to get a new regulator and have some good weather for installing it. That right there is your redneck fix for the week...

I fairly certain you don't need a new regulator. Take the yours out and pop the little plastic cover off of the black junction block where the wire broke. It's almost impossible to get to the cover for the black junction block on the regulator with it in the door. Remove the OEM spade connector (some sort of basackwords French design) snip the wires back a little (to remove the fatigued portion) and put regular old spade crimp connectors on there and run the wires in through the back of the junction block (throw the little cover away). Be careful how you reroute the wire.
Grease the cable while you have the regulator out and be careful how you route the rubber extension in the door bottom for the excess window actuator cable and you should be good to go. I did this about five-six years ago, so it seems to last.

That is good to know. If I can afford new, I'll go that route. Always nice to have a backup though. ;)

Back