• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Steer: TRE or Heims????

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
Seeing how I need to re-do my steering, I've decided to go high steer and fix the problem once and for all.

I'm thinking about using TRE's instead of Heims, they'd be heavy duty one ton type TRE's.

Any thoughts?

i am running hiems on my DD it works fine for me!

stoney

My were easy to fabricate and had no problems yet!

1887P1010411-med.JPG

Dazz,
Do you have a picture of the other side as well?

i'm in the same boat, wondering what to use. i think i'm going the TRE route. reasons are 1) if i were to brake a end away from home, better chance to find a TRE at the local parts store then a heim end. 2) live in penna. our winters are sorta bad, with road salt and stuff--not heim end freindly stuff 3) a TRE will flex to a little over 30 degrees, heim end not quite that.

scot

I'm leaning towards the TRE's for alot of the reasons listed above, there's a guy here in MI that has been milling d44 knuckles for the high steer and CNC latheing the arms. The TRE's are more costly but I think the solidness of them and being quieter are an advantage as well as a little more range of movement.

The hiems that I have now have bent as well as my tie rod has bent via rock. I'm starting completely over on my steering.

Does anyone have opinions on strength, one over the other??

xj junkie either way u should carry spares? so in that respect it doesn't matter!

stoney

I converted my steering over to a custom cross over with Heims a while ago and the steering has been much nicer. I love the heims and I like the fact that it is easy to remove them on the trail if need be. I will be converting to a over the knuckle shortly.

My thoughts. Heims and very cheap and very strong. They are used all over race cars and trucks. They are easy to replace on the trail (with spares) and there is no taper to be machined in the steering arms (particually if there is already a taper in the oposite direction. in my mind the decision is easy, less work, less cost, easy to modify in the future with heims. I am not knocking tre's but for my modifications it just made more sense.

Michael

Fore Wheeler said:
I'm leaning towards the TRE's for alot of the reasons listed above, there's a guy here in MI that has been milling d44 knuckles for the high steer and CNC latheing the arms. The TRE's are more costly but I think the solidness of them and being quieter are an advantage as well as a little more range of movement.

The hiems that I have now have bent as well as my tie rod has bent via rock. I'm starting completely over on my steering.

Does anyone have opinions on strength, one over the other??

You'd better start spilling yer guts about whose milling down 44's for hi-steer in MI!!

I think you'll be better off with heims. You will not have to be concerned with road salt eating them, you will not have to taper ream your hi-steer arm to accept the TRE, and you probably won't bend them again once you get the tie rod up high. Think about the ease of carrying one extra DOM tie rod and a couple of heims for trail repairs.

BTW, Fore Wheeler is going to hi-steer, not over the knuckle like in the pictures. He already had that and FUBAR'd it. Right now its One Ton'ifed. I'd say leave it with the angle welded to it. That's sweet.

A guy in Midland. www.kozscustomfab.com . I 'may' be shooting his wedding next June, which in other words, I'm getting a custom cage for the new XJ, high steer for the current axle, talking bumpers and other stuff in trade for me pushing my button. gotta love it.

BTW, the arms are CNC lathed with the taper for the TRE already done. It's a nice set up. He's using DOM, 1/4 thick, 1 1/2 (I think) OD and welding in another piece of DOM to thread and accept the TRE for all the links. The knuckles also have been reamed out to accept the larger TRE. He's got a dozen or so knuckles settin on a shelf ready to go, Ford, Chevy, Jeep. I just need to bring my pitman arm over to have him ream it for a taper.

This will be a much better set up than what I have/had.

OT's fix-it will become a fixture in my garage forever, that is unless we can use it as a trophy for the carnage award in Moab.

Back