• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Lockup issues

Sorry to be bringing up a topic that has been discussed, but upon doing a search it seems the TC problems all have their own little nuances...

I've got a '95 4x4 XJ w/4.0 and AW4 (3"lift and 31s, FWIW)

It's been sitting for about 3.5 years as it was my daily driver in college until it began having TC lockup issues and I couldn't afford to fix it or feed it at that point. I almost sold it a couple times, but having owned it for almost 8 years- I've grown attatched.

Fast forward to now: I'm in the military making some decent money and I want to get the old girl out and have some fun again. I'm soon taking leave, buying a one-way ticket to MN and driving it back to FL.

So that takes us back to "then."
The torque converter started acting up on a trip to the Iron Range OHV park in Gilbert, MN. I was cruising through Duluth and though, "gee, my tranny sure feels wierd- and why are my RPMs so high?" It only did it until I stopped for gas... after I started it back up, it went away for a few weeks. Then, it started gradually getting worse and worse. It got to where the only time it would work is if I was letting my tranny guy take it for a drive to see what the problem was.

Bottom line:
It only locks up once in a very long while, but when it does it locks up solid. I don't think it could be the brake pedal switch as my cruise control still works flawlessly- that is unless there are separate switches for the two. Also, I'm getting no check engine light and the only code I get when I do the flashing CEL check is the one that tells me my battery was recently unhooked.

How often are torque converter lockup issues related to the actual torque converter itself failing? Where's the best source for a code reader for OBD 1?

And here's the biggie- how the heck does the AW4's TC lockup system work? Is there a schematic somewhere I can see to break down all of the solenoids, parts, systems, etc? I considder myself to be a damn good mechanic and there are very few tasks I can't handle- but automatic transmissions are mostly voodoo to me!

Sorry for the long and rambling post!

Back