• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another driveshaft question

dedmete

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, getting frustrated. I have 96 Cherokee that came with a rear DS that was to short (there wasn't much of the yoke (correct terminology??) on the tail shaft coming out of the TC, I would say it was only holding on with less than an inch). PO said it was bent and just bought the cheapest junkyard shaft he could find to get the thing home. At the junkyard yesterday, grabbed a rear drive shaft from a 96. It's the same size as the one I pulled off of *my* 96! My bro-inlaw has a 95, his DS is at least an inch longer (I know there's a good joke there somewhere). What gives? We both have the same motor, AW4, 231. Both of our Jeeps have the Chrysler 8.25 rear. I'm guessing I need a 95 or earlier rear drive shaft? What is the correct drive shaft length??? The junker I pulled the shaft from had the newer Cherokee decals on it, did they change it that much during that year? Of course, hind sight is 20-20 and I should have measured the old DS before going to the junk yard. I figured a 96 was a 96. I just called the wife at home and her measure from the center of the cap on the u-joint to the center of the cap on the other end for the shaft I picked up yesterday: 29" (ish) the yoke is 6".

Back