• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about the Disconnect D30

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I am changing out my rear diff to a Dana 44 with 3.54 gears. I now need to change out my front D30 to match. I might have a chance to get a disconnect D30. It has the cable and lever installed in place of the vaccuum. If I get this are there any drawbacks besides the U-joint size? This is not my daily driver, and I was thinking I could Weld it and use the Cable to unlock the hubs when driving to the trails. Will this work or am I missing something?

your really not unlocking the hubs, the hubs are always locked.

if your welding the gears, i would want the d30 with the larger ujoints.

I have the D30 CAD (disco) with a Posi-Lok cable and I am adding an Aussie Locker to it.

I am not a great fan of Lincoln Lockers, and would never do the front of my own vehicles.

Why not a posi?

Well, I initially was just going to go with an Aussie. But since this is just a trail rig I figured why not weld it. I thought the Posi Lok cable would essentially unlock it. So being welded on the ride to trails wouldn't matter.

Well, I initially was just going to go with an Aussie. But since this is just a trail rig I figured why not weld it. I thought the Posi Lok cable would essentially unlock it. So being welded on the ride to trails wouldn't matter.

it unlocks(disconnects) the passengerside axle shaft, not the hub. it will work, i just wanted to point out that its not the hub thats unlocking, its the axle shaft is being disconnected.

Welded,it will still be in 3 wheel drive!

they are all right, you will be in 3wd. you will be eliminating some stress by the posi lock, so i guess if youre not really street driving it and its a trail only rig its prob worth it if youre trying to keep it cheap and you actually like welded front ends and all the stress they bring to the front end then do it.

i personally dont like a welded front, just remember cheap is relative. i hope with the welded front youve beefed up your steering and frame braces trackbar etc. it could end up being more expensive if you havent addressed these issues than just leaving it open.

Well, I talked with a friend who tried this and even unlocked the drivers side wheel pulls when making turns. Sounds like this is a bad idea. I'll probably go back to plan A and get an Aussie. Thanks for everyones help.

Back