• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New KeY Cyl did not fix.

jims89

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I had to go on a recovery mission to get my sons 89 XJ out of the desert. The key cyl was not engaging. Got it home and bought a new switch pulled the steering wheel and installed it. Tried it before we put it all back together and it started. Put it all together and it started. Checked some stuff under the hood just for grins and tried again but it wouldnt start. No fuel pump coming on, the shifter won't unlock, nothing. Took it all apart again and tried to turn the switch/cam inside the steering column with some needle nose pliers and nothing was happening and it eventually froze up in the wrong position. What needs to be done to replace or fix this. I don't know what these pieces are called to do a more detailed search. I'm hoping the pieces are available without replacing the whole steering column. Oh at first when i was turning the part inside the column the pin and the metal "Tab" were moving in and out untill everything stopped turning. thanks in advance
Jim

What do you mean it wasn't engaging? The key would turn but no power/crank/start/run?

If so, the key cyl was probably OK, but the remote rod and the ignition switch (at the foot of the steering column) is out of adjustment or bad. There is also the Park-Lock cable attached to the ignition switch bracket and sometimes they become separated--just one 8mm nut I believe.

You won't have a Park-Lock cable if the shifter is on the column, only for console shifters.

Thats right no crank/start run and the key would turn. After replacing the key cyl it looked like a fix but it quit working. So I need to drop the steering column and look at the remote rod and ignition switch. That mechanism does not seemto oprerate now

I think you are on the right path.

Is there a name for the stuff up in the column behing the key. I don't know if thats not where the trouble is originating at this point. thanks Jim

Not sure what you are asking?

The Key Cyl has a slot cut in the end. When the cylinder is installed it fits over a tab of metal inide the steering column. When the key is turned, that metal tab is rotated and I am guessing plunges the remote rod into the starter/ignition switch to Turn on the volatge to run the engine and accessories, unlocks the shifter somehow, and moves the steering wheel interlocks back to allow the wheel to turn. What is that metal tab that the Key Cyl rotates called. And I guess a little theory of operation of that whole process would help me troubleshoot the mess and help to describe the problem for more help.
Jim

I have looked in a fsm and have seen where the remote rod and ignition switch are. i didn't get a chance to drop the steering wheel yet. So I now have another question. could a faulty ignition switch hang up and keep the remote rod from moving? Do you think this could be most of our problem.
Jim

I removed the ignition switch and used a screwdriver slided it back and forth and to start the Cherokee. The gearing and remote rod symetry was all offset. I removed the shroud and some pieces fell out. I had to jiggle the toothed sprocket on the left side that moves everything to get it all to mesh up right then the remote rod fell out. Looks like I'll need another steering column.
Jim

Sounds like steering column self destruction. Hopefully you can find a low miles one in the junkyard. Or find someone tearing one down on Craigslist. Does anyone know what years will fit for jims89?

Back