• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock talk

tomhil

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been wanting to get Rancho RS9000X shocks with the in cab adjustment kit. Ive been looking at it because of the adjustibility.

My question is will it really make a smoother ride on the trail, because i really need it? I have neck and back injuries and went wheelin yesterday. OMG I didnt want to get up this morning. The stock setup isnt going to work anymore.

Any help or Advice, thanks.

I have not actually used the 9000XL's yet but they seem to be a great shock. I played with a shock that was at a store on display and the different settings were quite noticeable. You could make them really soft or really stiff. The bodys are also bigger than normal so they have extra cooling without the need for a remote resivor.

The bilstein 5150 or 5125's are okay shocks that ride nice but they are not adjustable. My 5150's lasted about a year though, not that long for a $100 shock...

A different shock may not solve your problems, your spring rate, trackbar angle, shackle angle and length, control arm angle and length, all have a masive impact on how your XJ rides. Whats on tour Jeep?

All OEM. The shocks are just les swab Moutain ryders. Crapy stiff things anyway. There a year old or so. when i took one off they were pretty darn stiff. With the shock off i could also move the jeep up and down way easyer. Not at all with the shock on.

Im not planning on lifting. I would have figured bilstein 5150s would have lasted longer. I heard those were really good.

I think you would get your money's worth if you bought a full-suspension style seat, and consider a 5-point harness too.

not trying to be a smart ass but i would think anything that rode like a Cadillac on the trails wouldn't really be worthy of taking it on the trails in the first place, like an expedition or a durango. your answer lies more in excersizeing those parts of youre body that are bothering you so that when they get jerked in directions they dont normally go its not as painful

I agree with you, cady smooth wouldnt work to well off road at all. But at least a suspention that moves would be nice.

Exersizing is also good. But i already do. Im not trying to argew, that is the last thing i want. But having broken my back in the past, you'll never really get it all back, No matter how much you do.

I believe Mustang seats will bolt to the xj pedestal, not sure which years are best, do a search here.

A 5-point harness would allow you to strap yourself securely so you won't have to use so many muscles while off road.

Back