• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing doors

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, not asking how to do it, in the process now, but have a question. I finally got the driver side off - what a pain getting the torq bolts off. One I had to give up and cut the head off. So go to the passenger side, and I can only get 1 torq bolt to move. The others, I tried and eventually bent my torq driver. I'm debating getting my air cut off in there, but went to see if it would even fit in there for all of them and it don't. Soaking the bolts now, but if that don't work, anyone have an suggestions on how to get these off? Also looking at the weld job, I believe the previous owner may have cut the hinges off the jeep and rewelded them back on at some time.

I think Jeep had some crappy looking welds in that area... the soaking should work for you; I learned to soak for 2 weeks ahead of any job on these babies. Just hit them once a day 'till its time to wrench. It seems like a waste but I havent busted a bolt or a knuckle on my '92 going through this process. It sucks but vice grips, chisel and hammer, or grinding are about all I know for wigged out torx heads. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Well not much progress on the passenger side - two bolts loose but thats it. Also I noticed my door pin is opposite, meaning the head is on the bottom. Are these door pins welded on the head at all? I was wondering if I could just drive the door pin out with door attached to get it off?

lol - I'm to the point I hope my jeep burns in hell......... I have managed to get the top hinge off, but the lower is not looking good. When I try to turn my torq head socket it wants to keep walkin upward and slip.

I had to clamp a vice-grip on the head of each one.

If you get it on there good and tight, you should be able to break the bolt loose.

Then you can turn it about an eighth of a turn, release, and repeat.

Two weeks later, you'll get the bolt out, and you can start on the next one. :D

Robert

Just cut the heads off, after you get the door off just buy new bolts...The vise grips will work great for breaking them loose..My were a pain too, just slowly work them out..

Just cut the heads off, after you get the door off just buy new bolts...

Yeah, but then you have to get the headless studs out of the door. That's not much fun, either.

But yes, definitely get new bolts either way. I don't think I've ever put a torx bolt back into my rig.

Robert

Ah passenger door is off - finally............... Ended up cutting the heads off, and once door was removed I got one of the bolts out. While working on the other two, the entire nut assembly came off - lol.

i just cut the hinge pine in half and hammered them out took awhile and my back was killing me from behding over haha but it worked then i drilled the hinge on the body out to fit a 10mm bolt think the drill bits a 27/64 then welded the 10mm bolts to the door hing works awsome! ohhh you could of welded a big nut to the head of the torx iv had to do that when they strip out. then u can reuse it haha

I hope mine arent that hard when I take mine off.

If you get angry, just think about how cool and awsome you will be driving around without doors showing the wranglers how its done. lol

yeah its slowly starting to come together.

can do this:
100_3020.jpg

or this:
100_3030.jpg

or this now:
100_3024.jpg

lol - now just need to find a good place to keep all these doors :gee:

you're in the same boat as me-- except try it with all four on a four door. I've got some hangers in the garage that I keep 'em all lined up on, but it's a PITA hanging the full power ones up there each spring (that junk is heavy)--- I'm procrastinating that project right now.....

removing the doors is the first step towards building a buggy...

seriously...

I took my doors off, and now my junk looks like this -
p1240119.jpg

I won't say that it is not a possibility. I should be getting my welder shortly, and after some practicing who knows :yelclap:

Been doing some practice welding here at work with a stick welder, and starting to get the hang of it. We may try and fire up the wire feed welder this weekend so I can work with that a little.

Got the 1/2 doors done for now - just used self tapping bolts to hold the filler plates in, till I can get them welded.

100_3045.jpg

my make shift door handle:
100_3038.jpg

Got the 1/2 doors done for now - just used self tapping bolts to hold the filler plates in, till I can get them welded.

100_3045.jpg

my make shift door handle:
100_3038.jpg

Holy Christ...... What a mess!!! :D

Back