• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling with stick shift....

spikyhair87

NAXJA Forum User
How "difficult" is it to wheel with a stick....
i mostly wheel at the cliff's here in il...
aka lots of hills and what not...

im thinking def. not a good idea...

however found a killer deal on cherokee
1999 140k 4.0 4door clean! 4x4 but stick shift....
im really wanted to jump on it.. but im pretty sure im not...

my dad has a stick wrangler that i havent done to much wheeling in. but you tend to ride the clutch more which will cause it to burn out faster. but i like it better its more fun haha

There are plenty of guys who wheel a stick shift i'm sure they'll chime in. I couldn't tell ya because of my MD i have never even driven anything with a stick but i can only imagine an Auto would be much easier.

I found that it's important to be able to hit the brake and the gas at the same time. This means the right foot must be able to hold the vehicle on a hill or obstacle while applying gas to begin forward crawl. It takes practice but it can be done. I've found that it is easier to do in my YJ 5-speed then in my XJ 5-speed; the pedals are closer together/ better aligned. Nonthe less both see off-road time. Goodluck! Mike

If you know how to drive a stick, *AND* have the gearing to match tires & axles, there's really no problem. If you slip the clutch much at all, you don't know how to drive a stick.

Simple my nv3500 5 spd 88 cherokee has a hand throttle on the stick shifter-bmx 2 finger brake lever and a tamdem-2 person-bike rear brake cable-works great-also used as a "manual" crusie control!!!!:viking:
of course gearing is good too.I also have a 100% kevlar clutch to keep temps and "slipage" from scattering the clutch disc.

If you can drive a stick you should be able to hold the jeep at any angle without stalling.
autos are for lazy wheelers.

...............and handicapped ones! :D

I drive both Off-Road.

The Automatic is certainly easier on difficult obsticals as a general rule.

However I have wheeled at the Cliffs with a manual. No problem :greensmok

That's all I ever drive, and I prefer the extra control. Most people I talk to don't like it though, they like just being able to press the pedal and go. You need to be really good at driving stick too.

Biggest problems I've found -
- Following really really slow people can be annoying (speeds less than idle in 1st gear 4lo)
- Restarting on really steep hills without rolling at all after stopping does burn a little extra clutch
- Getting enough speed to climb hills or go through mud, because you never want to start in 2nd gear and not have enough power on the other side, cause you can't shift in the middle

Personally I like mine, but that's just me.

Drove a "stick" Cj for over a decade. Never burned up the clutch. I think I actually like the stick for "trailriding" better. On obstacles, the auto MIGHT offer a little more control, but it's a tossup for a skilled driver.(a bone-head, on the other hand, can screw up either. :scared: )

Smoothest off-road stick driving I've seen was in a 5spd Wrangler who's owner had installed a hand throttle lever on the gear shift, but that's cheating.:spin1:

Don't let the stick scare you away. If it's a good deal, snap it up!

thanks guys! i think ill still pass... lol
considering that i havent tech. driven a stick yet...

i have the concept down pat.... (driven dirt bikes etc)
but still unsure..

plus IF the engine wont run-bypass the clutch switch if you have one-the factory 88 xj I have didn't come with one! And BINGO you have instant electric drive-via starter!!!! LOL:roflmao:ask me how I know.............
and

THIS :eyes: is the money I could have saved with GIECO!!!!!!
soryy ---could'nt resist it was next to the smiley I used...

i assume either dana 35 or 8.25 but which is more likely??

btw doesnt it look rust free?
and how durable are the manuel trannies... (yes im thinking about it..)

97, non-ABS likely has an 8.25. If it does have ABS, bet on a D35C.

AX15s are pretty durable transmissions. Keep the right lube (GL3) in them, preferably synthetic for chilly winter weather, and you'll have no problems. Mine has over 220k on it.

thanks guys!! i was wondering as my friend needs axles...
i have a dana 44 and newer dana 30 the 44 has a powertrax in it and i have a locker for the front so im not going to part with them...

looking to swap over everything....

btw he has a 97 with a dana 35.... he needs the 8.25 for his 90' wheeler... he total me that he will pitch a couple hundred for the axles...

Thanks guys... still a bit unsure.... mainly cuz i havent driven a manuel before... i have a 69 dune buggy that is manuel but i have been working on it for 6 years so i havent driven that yet... (btw clutch is mucher easier to change in the buggy im sure... lol)

LOTS of guys run sticks offroad, most crawlers are sticks, it is actually commonly considered the better route. You willbe fine, most people would see that that jeep is a manual and say HECK YES! and buy it right away, manuals seem to be more sought after..

Back