• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 to 231 swap question.

Jay S.

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of switching transfer cases and while comparing the two, the only thing that I can see different is the sensor/switch on top near the breather vent tube. The one on my 242 has four pins in the connector and the one on the 231 only has two. Can I install the one out of my 242 in the 231 and still have all the electric work correctly??? I think it controls the dash lights for the 4wd light.

I'm in the process of switching transfer cases and while comparing the two, the only thing that I can see different is the sensor/switch on top near the breather vent tube. The one on my 242 has four pins in the connector and the one on the 231 only has two. Can I install the one out of my 242 in the 231 and still have all the electric work correctly??? I think it controls the dash lights for the 4wd light.

What year are we working with?

You are right that is the only difference and you will not have the light in 4hi but will in 4low. Some say you can change the short harness that plugs into the T-case(its located above the tranny) and the lights will be correct whichever way you are going with the swap. I haven't tried that yet though.

My wife is from TR(travelers rest) its a small world.

Oh, sorry it's a 1998 Limited....

So let me get this straight....there's a pigtail that I can switch that has the correct plug for the 2-pin connector?????

Oh, sorry it's a 1998 Limited....

So let me get this straight....there's a pigtail that I can switch that has the correct plug for the 2-pin connector?????

Yes, I'm trying to find that thread that had the info in it. Sometimes this search feature gives me a headache though!

Some one else will post up with the info most likely before I find the thread.

Back