• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

squeaking distributor

ocaisionally, you can get a cheap rotor that doesn't keep it's electrode (you'd be stalled by now) --- barring that, the bushings in your distributor are probably worn and dry --

The squeaking may have been the inital indications that your Dist bushings are really tired and need some attention (though I have seen very dusty dists make noise like they've consumed a little dust into the top bushing then stop squeaking without noticeable defect) - Typically, the squeaking'll only last a few hundred miles, then the bushings either wear themselves larger or tighten-up and go ultra sonic.. Check em - see if there's and axial play in the distributor's shaft - you may even wanna pull the shaft and ensure that everything's OK (you can press new bushings or just add a little 20W to what's left if you'd like).

Once those bushings get tight enough to start really heating up, they run a good chance of seizing...

Watching those seize is not a pleasant thing (right, CheapJeep2) if the mounting tab on your distributor shears then you'll rip the wires off of your plugs/cap and just need to get a distributor and some wires (new cap goes without saying and I'd recommend plugs too - a cracked plug can cause no ends of grief) -- if the tab doesn't break off, then you'll be looking for dist-gear parts in your oil pan providing that the cam's gear doesn't go first (the Distributor's gear is held with a roll pin that'll usually deform enough to stress the gear into shattering, but there's no guarantee, and since it's a FoMoCo design the availability of a bronze gear is questionable.)...

My squeling distributor blew up my motor! Bushings were bad and shattered the gears on cam and distributor and broke a rod.

Some thing to think about!

IMHO - the 20 or so minutes spent to chop off those damned locating ears on the Distributor housing (comment applicable to all vehicles with this 'technology') are well worth the engine-saving time -- just mark the shaft so you can get it all back in and happy before you get lost....

Is there any way to oil the bushings without pulling the distributor? I had it out a couple years ago, but didn't pay much attention to the bushings. I assumed they were splash-oiled some way.......?

Back