• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This isn't an issue is it?

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
2641_61160856894_508091894_2005641_6341546_n.jpg

2000 with RE3.5 and 32x11.5's on 15x8 canyons.

(you're looking at the....maybe 1/2" clearance between the tire and leaf spring)

Whatever backspacing stock TJ canyon rims have lol.

2641_61160861894_508091894_2005642_5528842_n.jpg

also what PSI are mt/r's safe to run down to? I've had them down to 20...

Last edited:
you might think about getting wheel spacers for that thing!

I've been that close before, it never became a problem but it has all the potential to be a problem.

The problem starts when you air down. At street pressure(27-36 PSIish) the sidewall will stand away from the spring, and maybe just rub a little going around corners. Lower to trail pressure(say the 10-20PSI range), and every time you side load the tire, the whole tire moves over(not just the contact patch) and rubs the spring. Too much side load, the spring starts chunking the sidewall.

'Looks like it's time for the 1.25" wheel spacers.

You need spacers! I had this same issue on my last trail rig so I ran some 1" spacers that did very well. On my new rig I just went with Cragers so it wouldn't be an issue.

YOU DO NOT NEED SPACERS. i ran the exact same wheel and tire combo for years and never had an issue. had just as much clearance (.5 inch) as you do. while aired down, and when side loading the tire, only the part of the tire contacting the road deflects, once it rotates back up toward the leaf spring, the tire is it's normal shape.

There you have it! Conflicting advice! We're good at that here:D

'Guess you'll just have to air down, wheel, and keep an eye on the sidewalls. If they start showing wear, spacer time. If it works out for you,... you can come back and tell us we were full of it.

yea..it really has. but if you just think about it (the OP) if you are running those tires and they aren't touching anything, and you don't see rub marks on the tires, then you have no problem. rockcrawlers are built with very tight tolerances all the time. the worst that will happen is you have slight tire rub that most likely won't hurt anything at all, but if you don't like it, there are tons of options to deal with it, spacers, new wheels, new tires, new car...and the list goes on.

Back