• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Call your damn house representatives! Local trails will close!

cal

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Senate set to send Omnibus to House
Calls to Congressional Offices Increasing
BRC urges: Keep Pressure On - But Shift Calls to House of Representatives

*** BRC has new email system. If you have any problems with links not working please send me or Ric an email: [email protected] or [email protected].

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscribers,

Latest news on omnibus lands bill:

Although the official vote in the Senate has not yet taken place, we must be honest and say that the bill is likely to pass either tomorrow or Thursday.

This sends the bill back to the House, and the leadership there is expected to suspend normal rules in order to jam it through without debate or chance of amendments. As we noted in the previous action alert, D.C. insiders expect House leadership to call the legislation up as a "preferential bill," which would prohibit committee review and limit amendments.

For more information on the Omnibus Land Bill, see our previous alerts here.
(http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/)

Important info:
I need to mention that the number of calls on this omnibus bill have increased over the last few weeks. This is really rare for long running marathon bills like this one.

Your calls are making a difference and many of the legislators you are calling are starting to question why, in a time of financial crisis, is it so important to jam through a $10 - $12 billion land bill.

Another question that should be asked is, "Why is there no opportunity for an amendment?"

I'll take this opportunity to mention a few Congressmen asking the tough questions, including Utah's Rob Bishop and Jason Chaffetz, California's Devin Nunes, Florida's Alcee Hastings, Montana's Denny Rehberg and Oklahoma's Mary Fallin, just to name a few.

Honorable mention goes to Wyoming's Cynthia Lummis, who penned a very well reasoned letter as to why she could not vote for the omnibus bill. I encourage all BRC Action Alert Subscribers to take a minute to read what she said. http://lummis.house.gov/2009/03/lummis-votes-no-on-big-spending-lands-package.shtml

What you need to do:
BRC is asking all of our members and supporters to call their Senators AND their Representatives NOW. Finding their phone number is easy. Just enter your zip code on BRC's Rapid Response Center webpage at http://www.sharetrails.org/rapid_response/.

For Maximum Effectiveness:
Call both Senators and your Congressperson. Three quick phone calls. Simply tell them that you oppose the Omnibus Public Lands Act of 2009. Tell them you oppose putting public lands bills into these "all or nothing" omnibus packages.

Be brief. Be polite. Do it NOW.

As always, if you have any questions or need assistance, call or email.

Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

To be removed from further mailings from our list, please click the unsubscribe link

Called those bitches... again. :banghead:

Feinstein: (202) 224-3841
Boxer: (202) 224-3553

Last edited:
I had a few minutes this morning with nothing important to do and called all three of my elected representatives.

It doesn't take but five minutes and on a cell phone, calls to their Washington offices don't incur long distance charges.

Please get involved. Take a few minutes to make the calls yourself. Fight for your ability to keep wheeling.

Called all 3. Spoke with live people at Gallegly's and Feinstein's Offices, voicemail for Boxer.

Done. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Do it people.

i am in need of help too, please read and help where you can, this is private property and they are still trying to close it down!!! if you have been wheeling at my river house you know where they are trying to close, i dont want this to happen, i want these trails to stay open so i can share my area with all of you...

Everyone,

We are gathering information and making ground on finding out the status and what we can do to fight the proposed closure of the Vinegar Wash Complex per my emails a week ago.

Immediately we need you to email your gps files with waypoints and tracks, any you have, to Andy Brown at [email protected] and please copy me as well. If you can send them in the .gpx format, that's great. If not, send what you have. It does not matter what brand of gps you have. We need these files ASAP, I cannot stress that enough!! Don't worry about editing them, just send them as-is. Tracks are most important.

The proposal is not 'in the works' yet. Feinstein has told the CWC that she won't carry a bill unless it's been negotiated and worked out so it won't get a lot of opposition. This means that existing routes will need to be included, or WE will be the opposition and we will need to be LOUD. If we leave the CWC to their methods, which is excluding us and our points of view, they will find a way to pass it through our local government and it will be done.

I have contacted several groups who will be sending emails to me to distribute to you. I will be building a database of emails for people who want to be in the loop. Please email me, even if you did before, any email addresses beyond our homeowner's association that you want to have included. We need to get friends, family, other people who recreate here, Mitchell's Camp, Palo Verde, Blythe, etc on this list. Please do this as soon as possible.

In the mean time, I suggest that everyone join a couple of pro off road groups as I have in the last 2 weeks and subscribe to their email alert list. We are going to have to stay on guard from today forward, or they'll just keep trying to take our rights away. There is a group in San Diego (SDORC), but from all the people involved that I've talked to, they say that their interest really stops at Glamis. We are really not represented out here, from our area up to north of Needles, no one has our concentrated group as members. First one I recommend is: http://www.cal4wheel.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=68 once you join subscribe to their alerts as well. The other is http://www.sharetrails.org/ and make sure to sign up for their alerts as well. It costs less to join both of these for a year than the cost of gas for one trip to the river! If enough of us join Cal4Wheel, we will be able to get a voice through them.

More to come as we find it.

Regards,

What gives? What's with the all out assault on four-wheelers, atv/dirt bikers, hikers, and other back country enthusiasts?

What gives? What's with the all out assault on four-wheelers, atv/dirt bikers, hikers, and other back country enthusiasts?

Not sure how long you've been in CA, but over the last 25 years I've been involved in out-door stuff (dirt bikes, mountain bikes and 4x4s) it's been the same - a constant battle. Feinstein is just Alan Cranston's flunky, following the same F-ed up voting record on the same F-ed up policies. Our only option is to get involved and let them know how we feel and how we will VOTE! :soapbox:

Back