• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving without trackbar?

Was just wondering, does anyone on here drive without a track bar? My buddy said he used to drive without it on his heep.
Maybe for moving it around,but not very far!

Not sure, how would that effect it?

YJs came with track bars from the factory and were leaf spring up front, which tend to have a resistance towards lateral movement, so many owners remove them.

Coil sprung vehicles (without triangulation integrated into the control arms) require a track bar to prevent lateral movement.

Leafs don't need a tracbar to keep the axle centered. YJs come with tracbars...for safety and better handling, but like swaybars, they do nothing but limit flex, so most people with YJs ditch them.

On an XJ with stock suspension, if you didn't have a tracbar, you wouldn't be able to go far!! Mine broke on my once (although I've got a long arm, but basically the same situation) while on the trail. Luckily it was just uneventful powerlines with mild ruts. I was trying to steer out of a rut, and noticed it wouldn't go. I just kept on in the rut, and noticed that it looked like the front end was moving when I turned the wheel. Things could have gotten pretty bad if I had to drive like that for much more than the 50-100' or so that I drove!!

YJs came with track bars from the factory and were leaf spring up front, which tend to have a resistance towards lateral movement, so many owners remove them.

Coil sprung vehicles (without triangulation integrated into the control arms) require a track bar to prevent lateral movement.

Oh I see, thanks for the input :cheers:

mine broke on the axle end on the highway at 65. After experiencing that you could not pay me to drive mine with out the track bar more than 1 foot. It was just about the scariest experience of my life and I have been in combat!!!

You cant steer my Jeep at all without a trac bar, I couldnt even make a 10 deg turn to get it out of my garage and out of the way. I ended up haveing to use the trusty floor jack trick.

Ya your buddy had a cj or a yj, ill garentee you it wasnt a XJ

I drive without a trackbar.....and without wheels and tires. They're kind of useless when you think about it.

Holy Smokes................ You NEED a tracbar on a Cherokee unless it has been coverted to leafs!! The only bar that can be thrown away without major problems is the swaybar!! :rtm:

Your friend obvoiusly has his terminology mixed up. I had a loose trackbar mount, and it made steering hell. As said, there is no way you can drive an XJ without a trackbar, unless you have a triangulated 4 link in front.

Back