• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what exactly should my brakes feel like?

Lightfoot

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my xj last summer stock, and drove it for about 3 days before lifting it and putting on new tires. Stock the brakes were decent, but not great. After lifting it, they are borderline marginal. I figured this was normal for the bigger tires, but now I am starting to wonder If I may have some kind of problem. I am only on 31's ( truxus Mt's), and I can not lock the brakes in a panic stop, from 40mph. (Found that out a few weeks ago). Its a good thing my bumper is above that honda's cause if it wasnt, id have hit her.) Can most of you guys lock your tires that size or bigger? Thinking about it, my '57 IHC 1/2ton with 4 wheel drum brakes, 30in tires and a few lbs on the xj stops better. Im thinking maybe I have had a slight MC leak since I have owned the jeep. I have done some searching, so here is some info:
1999 no abs-do not need to upgrade booster or mc
pads and rotors 1 yr old
drums adjusted and within spec.
entire system vaccuum bled/ flushed completely when bought, and again yesterday in proper order(I have bled many brakes before)
no leaks , no apparent bulges in lines under pressure.

engine off, pedal is solid as a rock, running, it is pretty soft, and I can almost get it to the floor if i push real hard, but not quite. When I stop with some force, or try to, it doesnt seem like pushing harder on the pedal results in better stopping power, like the petal is wooden.
Also, once in a while, when coming to a stoplight, I notice the brakes pulling slightly to one side or the other, but its never consistant, or scary.

Basically I am looking for a comparison of what the brakes should be like on 31's, and any ideas on what this might be if I have a problem.
Thanks
Lightfoot

cheap pads and shoes? I replaced all brakes on a budget once. Once. Ill never do it again - It scared the crap out of me.
Also, maybe the proportioning valve?

Back