• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Semi new to XJ's school me on steering and LA setups

TheSandman

NAXJA Forum User
Built my WJ and wheeled it a few times, realized that I wanted a trail rig, so I picked an XJ. I've read on and off for about 3 years, so I know the basic stuff, but I still need some opinions for my setup.

So I'm starting to get a list together to build my XJ, first on the list is obviously a good suspension setup, I've narrowed it down to either RE's 5.5" LA kit or Clayton's 6.5" LA kit. My ultimate goal is to keep the HP30, build it up of course, and run a 29 spline 8.25 with a locker and 35's. How do the RE LA's compare to clayton's setup? Just from the looks, and reading, the clayton LA's are very beefy, seems like the bes LA's on the market. What about the complete kit comparisons? Seems like RE's most "complete"

Lastly is steering options, I'm looking either the ZJ V8 swap or possibly Currie's or JCR offroad 1 ton setup. I'd like the run and over the knuckle setup to keep it out of the rocks, but a beefy under the axle setup should be ok?

What steering setup is everyone running here? I've tried searching, but didn't really find anything helpful on a steering setup

I do not know about the LA's. As far as steering I have the V-8 Grand steering. It's nice but I'd go heavier if you are rock crawling.

There is tons of stuff about longarms and steering on this forum. I just bought the Currie steering for my 4.5" lifted rig. Off Road Only sells a very beefy kit if you aren't going OTK yet. There are tons of OTK kits out there, but that's a lot more work.

As for the suspension, I'd go with an RE 5.5" kit and TnT radius arm setup for the front end. Just my opinion.

There is an enormous amount of info on these two subjects.

For LAs, you must first figure out which setup you want: 4-link + panhard, radius-arm, 3-link + panhard (there are more)

If you don't know what each of those are, then do some research either on here or Pirate.

Then narrow down the vendors that have the setup you want, and narrow down further by price, quality, etc.

I have the TNT radius arm setup up front, and personally would not get it again. While I like the bellypan and high clearance arms, the whole setup just feels overall sloppy. I'm not confident in it. Poly-Performance 3-link LOOKS nice and beefy (I haven't seen it in person) so I'd probably think about that route next time.

For steering, you have to decide what type again: Inverted - Y, Inverted - T, Cross-over

Do you want hydro-assist? Do you want to upgrade the box? Do you want to have to ream out the knuckles and pitman arms and add 1-ton TREs?

There's a wealth of information out there, and the only one who can pick what to do to YOUR rig is YOU.

Oh, and don't take everything everyone tells you on here as gospel :D

Thanks for replies guys, maybe I'm typing the wrong words in the search box, but typing Long arms, some decent info showed, but no much about RE's LA's, some about clayton's.

As for steering, the only thing I found was stuff about the ZJ V8 steering. I want to stick with a stock style steering setup, nothing majorly modified, so no hydro assist. I would like to do OTK, if I did, I would just get another set of knuckles for machining to make the TRE's work. I plan to do some rock crawling, nothing extreme, just some rock gardens in the mountains. If I could get away with running a UTK setup, I'd rather do that anyways. Haven't read much about the gear boxes, I do know that people recommend braces for them. I have read a little about a durango box conversion?

Any other comments?

I'll check over at pirate, figured a jeep specific forum would help me a little more.

Back