• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck on these turn signals...

CoastieJ

NAXJA Forum User
In addition to my turn signals not working, occassionally my XJ won't start. I'll stift my gears and try it again and after a couple cycles like this and it starts right up. Completely baffling, given that my 4-ways work fine. It all started last summer with some strange buzzing. Replaced the flasher, checked the fuses, nothing works. My rear window heater went out about the same time. Any ideas? Bad ground?

A litle more info on the Jeep in question, such as year, engine, auto/stick, modification and the like could help in a diagnosis.
:)
Yeah, I suppose that would help :). I have a 96, four door, XJ sport, 4.0 I6 engine, AW4 auto. Thanks for responding....any help is appreciated.

Column or console shift?

My first suspect would be the NSS on the AW4, remove, clean, dielectric grease, and reinstall and adjust.

Second suspect, if a console shifter, would be the ignition switch and Park-Lock cable and bracket located at the foot of the steering column.

NSS have you tried to start it in neutral? Mine was acting up a while ago and took the NSS apart saw that the contacts were stuck inside the arm cleaned em and was good to go. Also when you have it started do you have reverse lights?

x3 on the NSS. It happened on my 1994 XJ, and my 1987 XJ. Both Jeeps would just pretty much ignore whatever I did with the key; no click, no turning, nothing. Then I would play around with the shifter and voila! It would start! Another good indicator of a bad NSS is that when you put the Jeep in reverse, the back-up lights don't light up.

Here's a link to a great website, and it shows how to fix the NSS for just about free! http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

It's a stone-cold PITA to get the old unit off intact. In fact, I've tried to remove NSS switches from 6 XJ's, and only one came off intact.

HTH!

:)

I'm going to agree with everyone else on the NSS, mine went though this about 3 weeks ago.

Try to clean the tab it slides on before trying to get it off. It might save you a headache.

If you do break it, go to the local junk yard by you and look for a Cherokee with oil covering everything on the underside. I had great luck with two sliding right off on account of the oil/grease build up. :laugh:

Last edited:
Back