• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross country drive comming up, suggestions needed

109ace

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure if this is the right section, but I will be driving from Maryland to California this July and I was wondering if any of you have made a drive like this in your rigs. I have a '98 XJ, RE 3.5 SF with the adjustable trac bar, 31x11.50 Interco TruXs, stock gears and 163,000 miles. What do you suggest that I do this summer maintence wise to make sure that it will make it. I plan on changing my ATF, oil, replacing breaks and changing my coolant and diff fluids. Is there anything else that I should do. I have owned it since it was new so I know the overall condition and there have been no major problems other then routine issues. The NSS has been replaced, new distributor, new battery and belts. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you're on the right track with the items you have listed. Make darn sure your cooling system is in good shape, AC too, It's gonna be HOT coming across the Southwest. Carrying your old serp belt as a spare is a good idea. Water for you and or the Jeep is a must. Don't forget a good inspection of all hoses and lines, including power steering, brake, fuel, etc. I would think with those common sense things taken care of it should be no issue for a Cherokee with just 163,000 miles.

The AC is my only concern. The compressor is shot and I am hoping that I will be able to find a working one at a salvage yard before I leave. I don't have the time to find one right now since I am still in school. Thanks for the help. I am going to give it a full inspection before I go and stock up on water, coolant, oil and the spare belt.

My next project is a Mustang build but I am hoping that I do not have to sell my XJ. Plus, I am a poor college kid at the moment and I can not afford a new car until well after graduation and going on active duty. Of course, that is after I move to California.

It shouldn't be a big deal. Maintance that you would normally do to last 3K should do it + a nice visual inspection.

I make one or 2 3K trips a year with the XJ (207K currently). Look for leaking tranny lines, cracked hoses, cracked belts, and grease everything - including that annoying slip joint at the rear of the transfer case.

Otherwise, do normal maintance for a 4WD.

I forgot about greasing the joints. Now that VT is starting to stay above freezing temps, I may add that to my to-do list for the month on top of new breaks and changing my diff fluid.

Make sure to check the alignment. A long road trip like that can grind a LOT of rubber off.

I did that over the weekend when I found out what a frost heave was. Came around a corner on a mountain road at 45 and hit was resembled a small ditch in the road covering both lanes. The warning sign was about 20 ft before the hole and there as no way to see the hole until you came up on it.

im doin this trip too...nj to cali i cant wait

im takin a couple friends n hittin up some offroad parks on the way n then were stayin in cali for a week or 2. im just gunna do a complete tune up n make sure nothings outa line n im bringin a tent, some clothes, spare parts n 6 grand

If the XJ is maintained properly you should have no problem. You have a good list of the pre-trip check items plus the suggestions given by others.

XJ's are very reliable. I routinely get in my XJ in Miami and drive to far away places like Texas, Iowa, Kansas and of course the New England states to visit family without giving it second thought. You will need a good chat companion, and a good source of music for those long booreing stretches.

Have fun. Stay safe out there.

ROCKAuto.com you should find a new compressor for your A/C system. I had to replace mine on my 99 XJ because it was shot and I paid abotu half of what everyone else was quoting me around my town in MA. I think it was $230 with shipping and everything. and then paid $100 to a mechanic friend to evacuate and charge the new system. ICE COLD!!!!!

Grease all three u-joints in the front drive shaft. I'm planning a 2K mile trip at the end of April and I think I'm just going to pull off the front drive shaft for the road trip. My front DS has some vibes that I can't get rid of at highway speeds. I think it is just from play in the slip joint.

One thing a lot of people forget is their brake fluid. If your working on brakes, it's a perfect time. Fluid should be changed every two years, but at LEAST do it when you work on your brakes (which you probably need to look at closely at least every two years anyway). Brake fluid is hydroscopic and holds water. This makes the brake pistons, etc. rust. Also, under heavy loads, the fluid boils and your brakes become less effective (not good for going down mountains). So starting with the furthest away, drain until you get clear new fluid from the front. If you want more details, let me know and I'll find my old post.

I would definitely look at the hoses and clamps, and if you can't remember when they were last changed then change them now. New serpentine belt and keep old one for spare. Changing fluids and grease everything. How old are your tires? You might have plenty of tread but tires degrade overtime, and a lot of tires sit around for years before being purchased.

Have your charging system tested at the parts store.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My to-do list is growing but I have till July to get everything done.

Check your insurance policy to understand your coverage while driving out of state.
Consider signing up with AAA for their services. They might come in handy.
Drive carefully and have fun!!! You are gonna have a blast!

If you are already in the military, get USAA insurance. They are cheaper then most insurance places and way better then AAA for your side of the road needs.

Back