• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil light coming on randomly?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
so ive got the idiot guages, and the last 2 days my oil light has come on. the oil is full, fairly new, and im running a purolator filter. it comes on, goes off, and then flickers really fast sometimes

anything i should be concerned about, or does it just sounds like a bad sending unit or something

anything i can easily check?

It sound like your motor is worn out. (sorry). Does it only come on at idle, or is it all the time? Is it after it is hot or also when cold. The best way to verify is by screwing a mechanical gage in where the sender goes. How many miles on engine? It could be the sending unit. If it is really that low, you might make it survive a little longer by using thicker oil.

comes on really randomly...sometimes will just flicker, and go off, and sometimes will stay on.

the 2 times it happened was after driving for a while. i dont see the motor being worn out. i replaced it about 2 years ago, and it might have 15k on it at most. doesn't knock, ping, rattle anything. and yes, it was replaced with a new crate motor, not any junkyard swap or anything

Winterbeater is right.

Rent a gauge and check the pressure for peace of mind. If the pressure is good change the sending unit.

If the motor does indeed have low oil pressure the light should mostly becoming on at idle, with the motor hot.. could be an oil pickup problem or, oil pump if it is random. But yea.. start with the gauge.

From what you say, your motor is probably good, but if there is some little problem, you want to find it ASAP. Personally, I'd put in a gage. Do you just have a temp light too? That's even more important. Anyway, when the oil pressure light flickers on, it indicates that you have little or no oil pressure. That can spin a bearing or wear them out really fast. Normally, this would happen on a hot motor at idle before it happened any other time. So if it is really random, like while your driving down the freeway, it is most likely electrical. But what if the oil pump pick-up tube is coming our of the oil pump or something like that? Don't fry your new crate motor. If you don't have any gages, get a set with the oil pressure and temperature (maybe voltmeter too) and install them. At first, you can just run the pressure gage in to where you can see it inside if you don't want to install it permanently right away.

thanks everybody

all i have is a similar temp light, but ive never had any issues really with over heating. ill have to get a mechanical guage. i drove it around for a while today and let it idle for about 15 mins and the light never came on

Back