• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cat question

markg

NAXJA Forum User
sometimes my 94 xj has no power but seems to rev up fine.this doesnt happen all of the time though.i checked my exhaust system and the front of my muffler is broken and the pipe is loose inside of it(the muffler appears to be pretty new)im suspecting the cat or maybe the broken pipe is getting blocked somehow.if the cat was clogged or if the pipe was blocked wouldnt the check eng lite come on?my codes are all clear and the chk eng lite has never come on but it does work

get under there and smack it with a hammer and listen for stuff rattling inside there thats the easy way to tell if it is bad!

My 94 had a similar issue. I determined it was the cat when I began overheating on a hill and started feeling the passenger side floor for heat. I burned my finger on the passenger seat mounts. Took it to an exhaust shop and he opened it up, sure enough clogged shut.

get under there and smack it with a hammer and listen for stuff rattling inside there thats the easy way to tell if it is bad!

and if it wasnt bad before you hit it with a hammer, it most likely will be bad afterwards because hitting it with a hammer could break the honey comb webbing inside.

Also if you hit your cat with a hammer, you might have some trouble with the ASPCA.:D

And if your cat wasn't damaged before,it will be now,really bad idea!

Back