• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear oil coming out of rear axle vent tube d44 detroit

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
recently swapped in a newer used d44 rear with 4.88's and a full detroit. i noticed just today that there is gear oil coming out of the vent on the axle tube. is this bad, normal, or good?
did i simply overfill the diff?
my first assumption is a broken inner axle seal, but i thought the 44 rear was sealed by an outer seal after the outer bearing?
any ideas or is this common with detroits?

Actually,it is probably the same issue as with an ARB.The carrier restricts the oil from being able to drain back to the housing.The fix is to grind a releif groove in the housing.

Actually,it is probably the same issue as with an ARB.The carrier restricts the oil from being able to drain back to the housing.The fix is to grind a releif groove in the housing.

Where do you grind?

I had the same problem with my D44. I think it could have been caused by high oil level.

Jeep009-1-1.jpg

I was able to use a 7/16" drill bit with the carrier in. This was with the ARB. You may have just over filled the axle. Is your vent tube still on the drivers side axle tube? I was going to relocate the vent tube to the carrier housing, but just extended the tube to gas door. The hole drilled fixed my problems.
There's reference to the drain problem in the ARB manual. http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/arb/RD116.pdf

RCP Phx beat me to it.

thanks guys you are very helpful! ill get started on this ....

one thing i was wondering
is it bad to have the gear oil coming out of the vent or just annoying?
cuz if its just annoying ill leave it alone cuz i have enough going on with the jeep right now...

Guys, this is great info. I will look at this on my next oil change. :cheers:

one thing i was wondering
is it bad to have the gear oil coming out of the vent or just annoying?
cuz if its just annoying ill leave it alone cuz i have enough going on with the jeep right now...
It can blow out your axle seals.

Check your fluid level. as long as you can reach the oil with your finger you should be safe. Not sure if you have an aftermarket cover. Biggest danger would be running low of gear oil. Your vent could be partially blocked increasing pressure.

Back