• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatch won't close - need help ASAP

The Schwill

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks in advance...

My rear hatch won't close. There is nothing obstructing it.

I have no idea of how to get this thing closed. The latch on the hatch won't move at all. Any ideas would be welcome.

Also, where would I even take it to get this fixed? Would a normal shop be able to repair it?

Thanks,

Schwill

Is the latch itself in the closed position? If so you could try holding the release button and moving the latch with your finger...this used to happen to the doors on my suburban as well...

Well, it moves a little, but not enough. I don't know if it is on the open or closed position.

It also might be worth mentioning that when I open the handle, nothing moves.

Probably gunked up. You can get at it by removing the inner panel. Not a difficult job. You can replace the mechanism yourself fairly easily -- Team Cherokee.com is one source for same. You will note three screws facing down in the bottom plate of the hatch. These can be a bit of a pain to screw out but technically a piece of cake.

Spray the crap out of the latch after you get it to open and close,with lube (WD40 )..DO not close the hatch till you get the latch to work freely...Like awesome said check it first...

I don't have the time to replace the mechanism myself, I Just need to get it closed.

Nothing moves when I pull on the handle. Do you think that maybe something broke?

Should I spray the crap out of it now and then try to close it?

Won't hurt..Spray every place you can.. Then push the or pull your handle to see if you can get it to work...I get tons of crap, sand an dirt in mine..

Look at the latch, if you can't slide your little finger in the slot then it is closed..You can try to close it after you lube it..I can get a pic if that would help

Here is a pic of the 94 hatch latch open
open.jpg

Closed
closed.jpg

HTH

I know that mine has issues icing and I have to defrost it with a proane torch some times or just pull it into a garage and open all the doors for a few hours while everything thaws and evaporates.

That is the position that it is stuck in right now. It slides up about 1/4"

I sprayed a ton of WD-40 and it just slides a little faster, and doesn't move any further.

yes, as scott said pull the handle and use a bolt or a pen or something and use it to pull open that part that is across the middle. the only other way i can explain it is stick a pen in that small hole in the center, and pull down while pulling on the handle.

the 97+ models are notorious for the hatch linkages stripping out or breaking. if you pull the interior panel off you can see the mechanism pretty well, and should be able to easily tell how it works.

Use your key to make sure the lock is unlocked. Then stick a screwdriver in the latch and press the release button and see if you can pull the latch open like in Scott's pic.

Ok, I get what Scott is saying now. BRB, I'm going to try to pull it open with something.

I was using only my hands earlier, which obviously has not worked. I won't have the time to take apart the door panel until after tax season is over, but need it to close so it is locked right now.

Back