• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pinion angle

builder

NAXJA Forum User
Ok taking a pinion measurement of of the cast fin on a D35 i got a reading of 5*. now taking it off of the machinened section back of diff i got 78. rear diff reading would seem more accurate. how do i arrive at true pinion angle using this measurment? 90-78 = 12 and i know that's not right. do i divide it bye 2? which would give me 6* pinion? just looking for the most accurate way.

i think you may be over complicating it, just mesure the fin, see what angle it is, and make sure your driveshaft has the same angle

Your numbers sound close,and the machined area is the proper method.BUT,what about the surface you are working off of(angle),you didnt provide any t-case or driveshaft angles,or even what type of shaft/sye your using!!!

RCP i took the T/C off the valve cover 6.5 with 1/2" T/C drop.that one was easy lol.took off fin at diff end 5*. just was wondering the formula for reading off back off diff machined area, since it seemed more accurate. that reading was 78 as i stated in opening thread. 90-78=12. now cut that in half for true * reading? which would be 6*?

Reason i didnt post shaft and lift stats, is i know what to do just want the most accurate readings is all. 3" lift, stock shaft, 6.5* T/C output. for the record i just put the T/C drop on so i can drive it this weekend. will be removing it and buying proper shim for axle end. and a yj yoke at same time. i have a 242 and dont like loosing another 1/2" clearence. thanks in advance.

Pinion angle is pinion angle(theres no dividing by 2,dont know were you got that one).By your numbers,your pinion is 5,5* high(less axle wrap so about 7*).

yes pinion angle is pinion angle lol, when i put the protractor on the machined part of diff it doesnt give a actual * reading as it does on the valve cover or the fin! is says 78, i know there has to be a way to convert that to actual degrees. thats all i was trying to find out. and again i am aware of how to set it up for axle wrap. thanks i will search more.

Back