• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk after aussie install

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I put in an aussie and now i have a clunk going from reverse to drive and drive to reverse(more than it had).I have a 1999 XJ with the Chyr 8.25 29 spline. I had to pull the carrier out (thick ring gear) and suspect that I did not get the side adjusters adjusted correctly. Does anyone know the "proper" way to adjust these ? Thanks.

Last edited:
The clunk is pretty normal for any type of auto-locker.

I am aware of the normal clunks and clicks, but the one i am speaking of is from reverse to drive and back to reverse.

Thats when its going to do it most!

The AW4 tranny is not the smoothest when it comes to shifting into and out of park or into and out of any gear for that matter. Adding a locker will probably make things even noisier. I've got a Detroit in the back of mine and will get the occasional BANG when it engages and disengages. The first time I heard it, it scared the crap out of me cause it sounded like something grenaded inside the pumpkin.

A friend of mine once told me, XJ's all clunk and bang and make unsettling noises. If you want smoothness and refinement go buy yourself a Mercedes
cwm2.gif

Last edited:
I've got a Detroit in the back of mine and will get the occasional BANG when it engages and disengages.

X2!!!!! Lot's of bangs anytime I shift from reverse to forward and vise-versa.

Man mine today freaked my mother out lol. I turned the corner and sorta punched it when i shifted to 2nd gear and BANG! Freaked her out badly lol she though something broke. Then at the store she head the aussie ratcheting and freaked out again i found it amusing. I also got a guy asking why my rear end is sounding like that. He tried to tell me it sounded "like the bolts, that hold that gear thing on, bouncing around in the sprockets on the axles." I tried my hardest not to laugh

I would make sure you remembered to install the thrust washers with your locker. The gear oil makes them stick to the stock gears when you take them out and i didnt even notice them when i did mine, they arent much but they really affect the tolerances

Also, I'm curious as to what your center gap was upon installation...
This is the important part.

I would make sure you remembered to install the thrust washers with your locker. The gear oil makes them stick to the stock gears when you take them out and i didnt even notice them when i did mine, they arent much but they really affect the tolerances
Dont know about the Aussie,but my No-Slip doesn't use them.

Back