• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will an AX5 out of a wrangler fit the XJ?

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a previously disassembled 94 2.5l xj. everything from the flywheel back was discarded, so i am trying to piece it back together. Some time ago i found a tranny on craigslist that was listed as an xj ax5. that's what this used to have so i picked it up.

well, today i tried to put it in. the trans mount i bought from autozone doesn't match the transmission i have, but does match the cross member. the bell housing lines up and bolted in perfectly, and the input shaft mated up fine. but the flat spot on the transmission where it looks like the mount should go is pretty far forward in comparison to the cross member. either i bought the wrong type of trans or i'm doing something seriously wrong.

is the wrangler tranny different? Any ideas of what i could be doing wrong here if it isn't??

Don't know if any of this applies, but my 1990 AX15 has a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the transmission with four large bolts, then the mount bolts to the bracket that has two large studs, then the crossmember attaches to the mount with four studs.

So, are you missing a bracket?

Another snag you haven't hit yet. The wrangler transfer cases are clocked higher on the transmission then the Xjs are. When you put it all together, the transfer case is going to hit the floor.

2 answers:
a) re-drill the mounting flange on the tail-shaft housing/replace the housing with an XJ unit.
b) beat the living s**t out of the floor to make it clear and remount the driver's seat.

also, IIRC, there are two sets of holes in some year models frame rails so that the crossmember can be move forward or back depending on if it is an auto or a manual.

Don't know if any of this applies, but my 1990 AX15 has a bracket that bolts to the bottom of the transmission with four large bolts, then the mount bolts to the bracket that has two large studs, then the crossmember attaches to the mount with four studs.

So, are you missing a bracket?

that sounds like exactly what i need. do you happen to have a pic of that area?

The T-case fits nice, so I'm thinking I'm missing said bracket!

Thanks for the help guys!

No, but I will get one in a little bit.

Just looked outside and raining like crazy.

I may be a little while.

Last edited:
Another snag you haven't hit yet. The wrangler transfer cases are clocked higher on the transmission then the Xjs are. When you put it all together, the transfer case is going to hit the floor.

2 answers:
a) re-drill the mounting flange on the tail-shaft housing/replace the housing with an XJ unit.
b) beat the living s**t out of the floor to make it clear and remount the driver's seat.

c) remove the transfer case adapter from the XJ box and put it on the TJ box - should swap right over, and you don't have to worry about drilling a hole wrong.

c) remove the transfer case adapter from the XJ box and put it on the TJ box - should swap right over, and you don't have to worry about drilling a hole wrong.

He doesn't have an XJ tranny...

I would keep the TJ T-case, and slam the hell out of my floor... no need for a skid!

My ax-5 has 3 bolts that connect to the mount, then 4 bolts (like all other XJ's) that connect to the crossmember. I'm thinking you got the wrong mount... either that or they changed at some point. A picture would help you out most...

He doesn't have an XJ tranny...

I would keep the TJ T-case, and slam the hell out of my floor... no need for a skid!

My ax-5 has 3 bolts that connect to the mount, then 4 bolts (like all other XJ's) that connect to the crossmember. I'm thinking you got the wrong mount... either that or they changed at some point. A picture would help you out most...

What joe peters described sounds exactly like what i got going on. i'll post some pics in a day or 2...

Back