• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I or should I not

BigDog

NAXJA Forum User
I really want some thoughts on if it would be worth it to change from my d35 to the 8.25?
Im going to be running 31" or 32" with a three to four inch lift at some time here so wanted to pick a few brains and see what you think.

i have a 27sp sitting in my shed. the 8.25 is, so ive heard, way stronger than the 35. wile running 31-32" tires you can be locked and still survive a heavy foot.

im running 32.5's with D30-D35 and have had no problems....

-PJ-
good luck with that, it's only a matter of time.

i hate the D35 aswell, but i'll be honest, im on 31"s and i dont see it having any problems, after the abuse i've givin it..

now, that dont mean its bullet proof, but 31"s and easy wheelin should be okay..

when i step up tires, and or lock the rear, it will be on another axle..

So an 8.25 should hold out for awhile running 33s.... but an 8.8 is better and a d44 better then 8.8.

Would I be safe assuming that.

If we are just talking easy* swaps I ouldorder like this

1. 8.8 - 8.8" RG 31spline axles disc brakes stock * requires welding spring
perches and shock mounts
2. Dana 44 - 8.5" RG 30 spline axles drum brakes
3 8 1/4 - 8.25" RG 27 or 30 spline axles drum brakes

hey,
go for the 8.25, got one sitting in my front yard....
You saying you got one in the front yard you want to get off your hands or you got one in the front yard on a rig you are running?

I am thinking stregth. What is stronger. But based on your numers the 8.8 should be stronger

8.8 is a little bit stringer than the D44, I would base what you plan to do on what you can spend. D44s are drop in to start. and can be upgraded as needed (disc brakes alloy shafts etc] with an 8.8 you have to be ready to drop the cash for welding perches/shock mounts and an adapter for the driveline. The 8.8 is also about an inch narrower than a stock XJ diff.

the 8.8 is going to be the best bang for the buck.. but its not drop in ready.. they are about 30% stronger, stock, then a D44..

the 8.8 is going to be the best bang for the buck.. but its not drop in ready.. they are about 30% stronger, stock, then a D44..

I would agree if you are building it all at once. A Dana 44 is good for gradual build up or extreme build up. The only major downside to the 8.8 is the lack of aftermarket spline counts, you can get 33 and 35 spline shafts and locker(s) for the Dana 44.

You saying you got one in the front yard you want to get off your hands or you got one in the front yard on a rig you are running?

I have one in my front yard I would like to sell off cheap. Just installed an 8.8

30% ?????
Where is the testing to support that??

The Rear D44 out of a cherokee is a drop in rear axle, no C-clip, 30 spline stock shafts that are fine up to 35's or 37's Arguably. Could easily be upgraded to 33 or 35 spline and disk brakes.

The 8.8 is NOT a drop in rear axle, it needs shock mounts cut and welded, spring plates moved, and a modified adapter for the driveline, and is 1" (?)narrower. It is also a C-clip axle. It comes stock with 31 spline axles (arguably stronger than a 30 spline but it is a c-clip axle which can be a week link also). It does come with disk brakes. In stock form it is good with the same 35" or 37" tires as the D44.

Both axles can be found for about the same money.

My point is that they are both good axles and both have VERY similar strength characteristics. They also both have different strengths and weeknesses as a replacement axle for the cherokee (particularly for someone who would be paying to have it modified to fit a Cherokee). I would argue that the ONLY reason the 8.8 has become as popular as it has is because it is becoming more difficult to find D44's for cheap at the pick-a-part.

As a side note the 8.25 (29 spline) is also a great axle, drop in that can handle 35's well also.

Michael

30% ?????
Where is the testing to support that??
i cant find anything i had saved, but i did my homework, and yes this has been tested, Warn industries was one company that comes to mind.

The 8.8 is actually really easy to swap in, spend a few bucks and get some spring and shock perches, have them welded on at your local auto shop, i mean, we'r talkin about $100 worth of stuff to make it fit. then search to see what flange you'll need.

Dont get me wrong, the Dana44 IS a great swap, i wouldnt consider it weak in any way for a Jeep, but the 8.8 has been proven to be worth the (minimal) work..

Finding an XJ d44 at a pick-a-part is rare, finding a 97+ Explorer 8.8 is somewhat alot easier, and normaly had for $100 +/-

Find an XJ D44 on craigslist or Naxja, and your lookin at $350-500

But yes, it was proven side-by-side the 8.8 is 30% stronger then the 44.

Whats that really mean tho? 44's have more aftermarket? well... the F8.8 has plenty of aftermarket! superior 88 kit, Lockers from everyone, R&P's galore..

so its a C-Clip... find one person that had major problems with the 8.8 DUE to the C-clip...:rtm:

now, again, i've never had both, and both are stout, but if you'v been searching for, and sticking with the Dana44 just because its a "Direct swap" you might as well just find a 29spline 8.25..

The 8.8 is actually really easy to swap in, spend a few bucks and get some spring and shock perches, have them welded on at your local auto shop, i mean, we'r talkin about $100 worth of stuff to make it fit. then search to see what flange you'll need.

Where are you getting your perches and accessories from? The kit for everything from M.O.R.E. is $200 alone. Then to pay a shop to weld them will be more than $100. Then you still have the flange to buy. Then, if you want the e-brake to work add even more money.

You should do more homework before you give bad info.

Back