• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case swap Q's

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if i can swap in an np242 that was in a 1992 4.0l, aw4 into a 1993, 4.0l, ax15 with the np231? the 242 has a sye already installed thats why i want to swap it in. TIA

Keep in mind that the 242 hangs lower. If you have a tc skid plate it may have to be replaced/modified. Also, you may have to get the tc shifter gate from the donor as well as the bezel.

awesome. thanks guys. the 242 was on the jeep i totaled a while ago, just got a new jeep and am in the process of switching over lift and everything, so the 242 should fit under the skid(RE 5.5 long arm extreme duty).

thanks again

ok ive been working on trying to get out the 242 from my 92. i disconnected the linkage coming from the lever inside and took off the 5 nuts connecting it to the tranny, disconnected driveshafts, and the sob will not come out! are there any other nuts or bolts or anything holding it it?? i did an image search on yahoo and all it showed connecting it to the tranny were those 5 nuts. any advice would be great. thanks

There are 6 nuts holding it to the tranny, not 5. This is a 231, but they have the same bolt patterns.

Here is a picture. Never mind the giant crack...LOL.

DSCN0863.jpg

Keep in mind that the 242 hangs lower. If you have a tc skid plate it may have to be replaced/modified. Also, you may have to get the tc shifter gate from the donor as well as the bezel.

How much lower does the 242 hang?
The reason I ask is that I am swapping in a 242 & I wonder if it will help my pinion angle (I have 4* shims in now & Need to swap In 6* shims to make it right)

lol i coulda sworn there were only five. now i feel stupid. thanks man!

How much lower does the 242 hang?
The reason I ask is that I am swapping in a 242 & I wonder if it will help my pinion angle (I have 4* shims in now & Need to swap In 6* shims to make it right)

Don't have a 242 xj available right now. My "engeneering eye" recalls its about 2", I think its because of the differential that is built into it.

what is the bezel?

Back