• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Borrego SPrings

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Last year i ran the Pinyon Mountain. The washes were great and the scenory was amazing. At the end of the trail there was a great campsite overlooking the entire valley. I am going up there again within the next month and was wondering what other trails are worth running? It needs to be a trail that takes most of the day and I would like to have some creek crossings. how is the coyote canyon trail? Any pictures of that run? I am going with three modified jeeps.

lower coyote canyon trail was awesome - almost like bein in a tunnel because of the tree canopy. fun trail, should be able to find pics of it on you tube

Coyote Canyon trail ran from Borrego Valley out to the NW corner of the park. They closed the 'middle' of this trail years ago, so you can't travel the whole route anymore. You can enter the lower section of the trail where there are a few creek crossings. As you head towards the Middle Willows section there are many scenic areas to camp/hike/explore. You could spend an entire day just meandering along the trail or hiking up the waterfall in Sheep Canyon.
You could also enter from the NW corner of the park and head southeast towards Borrego Valley, but again, the middle is closed to vehicle traffic.
You can stop at the visitors center in Borrego Springs for up to date info.

I would send a pm to rick....."jump this" he lives there he could probably be very helpful.

jesse

I've been wheeling and camping Coyote Canyon for over 20 yrs. You used to be able to travel the entire route from the town of Anza down to Borrego Springs and vice versa. It used to be pretty challenging at one time and only passable with a 4WD. The upper section, once known as the "Turkey Track" was a tough little rocky climb but now the Park Service, for some reason, decided to grade it and has reduced it to a dirt road passable in a minivan! Still, some of the side canyons offer some cool spots to camp and hike. Alder Canyon is one of my favorites and I almost always see the same herd of wild mustangs in there. There's Bailey's Cabin, further down the main trail where you can spend the night (first come first service). Horse Canyon is a pretty cool place to wheel and offers some serious rock crawling (open diffs need not attempt) as you get deeper into it (I guarantee the rangers in their little Wranglers aren't going to be following you in there) it's also the head waters for Coyote Creek but, unless you're familiar with it, you'll have trouble finding it as they seem to have removed the signs pointing to it (probably to try and discourage travel up it). Anyway it's a nice place to spend the day exploring :) -----------Hans

I believe there is an oasis and camping area near there called Sheeps Canyon...if memory serves there is a stream crossing and some rocky trails to climb to get there... worth a look-see on a map if you are near there...

I believe there is an oasis and camping area near there called Sheeps Canyon...if memory serves there is a stream crossing and some rocky trails to climb to get there... worth a look-see on a map if you are near there...
You are correct. It's in the lower section of Coyote Canyon and it's a very nice place to camp, the rocky section can be quite challenging at times (depends on if the Park service has messed with it or not!) and the hike up to the oases (there's two of them if memory serves me) is really cool!----------Hans

Back