• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I use 15w40 as SHORT TERM gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
On Friday I need to drive my Jeep about 8 miles to get the ring and pinion replaced. Currently there are a couple teeth that have sheered off.

It's a D30 with 4.56 and an ARB locker in there.

The cover plate is off but if I put it back on and fill her up with 15w40 (I have a bunch of it sitting around) am I going to hurt anything more if I just drive it a few miles?

idk... 15/40 compared to 75-90 weight, i personally wouldnt do it/ i'd tow it or something but its your call, like llliana said, some kind of oil is better than no oil...

Since the gears are already going to be replaced I am only concerned with possible damage to the locker.

Of course it will not be engaged since it's selectable. I will be driving at low speeds... 30mph or less...

Since the gears are already going to be replaced I am only concerned with possible damage to the locker.

Of course it will not be engaged since it's selectable. I will be driving at low speeds... 30mph or less...

theres no possible way to goto uhaul and get a trailer and tow it down there? im sure a trailer for a day isnt going to break the bank...

if the covers off and your that worried...just pull the carrier, zip lock each side of hardware, label, put on cover, and use that 15w40, and save your self 30 minutes of shop labor lol

this is from wikipedia

"API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil."

this is from wikipedia

"API viscosity ratings for gear oils are not directly comparable with those for motor oil, and they are thinner than the figures suggest. For example, many modern gearboxes use a 75W90 gear oil, which is actually of equivalent viscosity to a 10W40 motor oil."

have you ever poured 75-90, and 10-40.

tell me they're the same.....

tell me they're the same.....

when talking about viscousity, yes, hard to believe. do some research and make up your mind.

many people run 10-30 in there manual transmission that requires gear lube.

i just drained the gear lube(gl-3) from ba-10 and the viscousity appeared the same as motor oil.

this is from wikipedia

Wiki is FOS!

There is no way the above is correct, Just compare it for yourself,Gear oil is serious HD stuff.

Now back to the post, Like one of the above posters said Motor oil is better than No oil, Just go slow & keep your foor off of the go pedel & you should be OK !

Wiki is FOS!

There is no way the above is correct, Just compare it for yourself,Gear oil is serious HD stuff.

Now back to the post, Like one of the above posters said Motor oil is better than No oil, Just go slow & keep your foor off of the go pedel & you should be OK !

when talking about viscosity, a 50 weight motor oil is the same as 90 weight gear oil.

im not saying they are the same oils, but viscosity is viscoity when talking about a liquid.

since wikipedia is FOS, here is info from an amsoil site:
http://www.upmpg.com/drivetrain/gearlube/

when talking about viscosity, a 50 weight motor oil is the same as 90 weight gear oil.

im not saying they are the same oils, but viscosity is viscoity when talking about a liquid.

since wikipedia is FOS, here is info from an amsoil site:
http://www.upmpg.com/drivetrain/gearlube/

You should have just posted this part to make it simple.

Gear Oil and Motor Oil Are Not the Same
Gear oil differs from motor oil. Most people assume that SAE 90 gear oil is much thicker than SAE 40 or 50 motor oil. However, they are the same viscosity. According to AMSOIL Technical Drivetrain Products Manager Kevin Dinwiddie, the difference is in the additives.
"Motor oil has to combat byproduct chemicals from gasoline or diesel ignition and should contain additives such as detergents and dispersants," said Dinwiddie. "Since an internal combustion engine has an oil pump and lubricates the bearings with a hydrodynamic film, the need for extreme pressure additives such as those used in gear oils does not exist in engines."
Engine oils and gear oils both have anti-wear additives, and they both must lubricate, cool and protect components, but gear oils are placed under extreme amounts of pressure, creating a propensity for boundary lubrication, a condition in which a full fluid lubricating film is not present between two rubbing surfaces. For example, differentials in cars and trucks have a ring and pinion hypoid gear set. A hypoid gear set can experience boundary lubrication, pressures and sliding action that can wipe most of the lubricant off the gears. To combat this extreme environment, extreme pressure additives are incorporated into the oil. AMSOIL uses an extra treatment of extreme pressure additives in its gear oils in order to reduce wear and extend the gear and bearing life.
Additional Differences
Because many of the components found in the drivetrain consist of ferrous material, the lubricant is required to prevent rust and possible corrosion to other materials. Rust and corrosion problems are not nearly as prevalent in engines
The many small and intricate components that make up gear sets found in the drivetrain can be quite noisy and may be subjected to shock loading. The viscosity and extreme pressure formulation of gear oil quiets gears and dissipates shock loading.
The rotating motion of the gear sets also tends to churn the lubricant, resulting in foaming. If a gear lube foams, the load carrying capacity is significantly reduced because the air suspended within the oil is compressible. For example, when the gear teeth come into contact with each other any trapped air bubbles will compress, therefore reducing the thickness of the separating oil film. In turn, this reduction could lead to direct metal-to-metal contact between gear teeth and result in accelerated wear. The gear oil must have the ability to dissipate this entrapped air, insuring a sufficient lubricating film exists to protect the gears from contact wear.

You should have just posted this part to make it simple.

Gear Oil and Motor Oil Are Not the Same
Gear oil differs from motor oil. Most people assume that SAE 90 gear oil is much thicker than SAE 40 or 50 motor oil. However, they are the same viscosity. According to AMSOIL Technical Drivetrain Products Manager Kevin Dinwiddie, the difference is in the additives.
"Motor oil has to combat byproduct chemicals from gasoline or diesel ignition and should contain additives such as detergents and dispersants," said Dinwiddie. "Since an internal combustion engine has an oil pump and lubricates the bearings with a hydrodynamic film, the need for extreme pressure additives such as those used in gear oils does not exist in engines."
Engine oils and gear oils both have anti-wear additives, and they both must lubricate, cool and protect components, but gear oils are placed under extreme amounts of pressure, creating a propensity for boundary lubrication, a condition in which a full fluid lubricating film is not present between two rubbing surfaces. For example, differentials in cars and trucks have a ring and pinion hypoid gear set. A hypoid gear set can experience boundary lubrication, pressures and sliding action that can wipe most of the lubricant off the gears. To combat this extreme environment, extreme pressure additives are incorporated into the oil. AMSOIL uses an extra treatment of extreme pressure additives in its gear oils in order to reduce wear and extend the gear and bearing life.
Additional Differences
Because many of the components found in the drivetrain consist of ferrous material, the lubricant is required to prevent rust and possible corrosion to other materials. Rust and corrosion problems are not nearly as prevalent in engines
The many small and intricate components that make up gear sets found in the drivetrain can be quite noisy and may be subjected to shock loading. The viscosity and extreme pressure formulation of gear oil quiets gears and dissipates shock loading.
The rotating motion of the gear sets also tends to churn the lubricant, resulting in foaming. If a gear lube foams, the load carrying capacity is significantly reduced because the air suspended within the oil is compressible. For example, when the gear teeth come into contact with each other any trapped air bubbles will compress, therefore reducing the thickness of the separating oil film. In turn, this reduction could lead to direct metal-to-metal contact between gear teeth and result in accelerated wear. The gear oil must have the ability to dissipate this entrapped air, insuring a sufficient lubricating film exists to protect the gears from contact wear.

sure i could have, i was just saying when talking about viscosity between the 2, the numbers are different but viscosity is the same.

as for applications, they both have there place but sometimes on the application, one could be substituted for the other.

as for the original question about whether to use in the front axle just to go 8miles, i would say yes, especially becasue the axle is not under load.

if you also notice in cases where motor is required, gear oil should not be used. but where gear oil is required, motor oil can be substituted depending on the application(trans, axles, gearboxes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back