• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Column keying / interchangability

JeepsterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy a Jeep that had its column broken and I have another one out of a cherokee, but was wondering if these XJ's had the passkey system. My key is just black, not gray, but I want to make sure. Also, can columns be re-keyed or do I have to have all the doors/hatch done? This is a 2001 column from a limited going into a 2000 sport.

I think I just answered part of my question - I had a blank key (as in no plastic covering), just a piece of brass, and it started the Jeep. I let it run for longer than 3 sec and it stayed running. I guess all I need to know now is about the keying situation.

Your jeep may or may not have a transponder. Only 40% of the cherokees that year came with the transponder. The ignitions are rekeyable. You could also have your key programmed to your car by any locksmith that programs automotive keys.

Alright, so worst case scenario, I might have to have it towed to a locksmith or find one that can do it mobile. Or I have the locks for the good ignition's car doors. Could go either way I suppose. Thanks guys.

If it had the system, somebody figured out how to bypass it. You should also be able to push out the old steering column cylinder and slide it into the new column, so that your doors will match the column. You just put the key in the run position and push the little button on the bottom. The lock cylinder slides out.

Tip for ya on all chryslers, dodges and jeeps... back around that time if the key is black then your fine. If it is gray than it has a transponder in it. I spent way too long working for a place that sold and installed remote starts is the reason I know. So you have a black key= no transponder and no bypass.

Back