• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mustang trans?? (crazy talk?)

spikyhair87

NAXJA Forum User
a friend told me that a 93 or so ford mustang transmission will swap into my 93 xj... can it be done and if so what needs to be done....

noob question here im sure... lol he say that he sourced one for like 50 bucks from a friend of his...

can it be done?? mines ok at best currently and i might need a "replacement"

Thanks!

:D

btw mines a 4.0, 4x4, four door....

IIRC, that mustang would have a T5 Trans. I know those wee also in CJs but never factory in an XJ. I believe it will bolt up assuming the bell housing is the same pattern. Also, IIRC the T5 is a light duty transmission and wouldnt be too good for off roading.

Why not just use an AX-15? I repeatedly put mine through hell and its been great.

Yeah i say.............. how bout NO! There are only two ford Items i'd put in a Jeep, an 8.8 and a 9 inch!

got it... so no... im not converting to 2wd(hahhahahahhahh) no way..(forgot/didnt think about that aspec..)

and i would be looking for the best offroading ability/ beating ability as i wheel pretty hard....

currently the trans that is in there isnt really shifting correctly... ( it had tons of water in it and i drained it many times and did my my own "power flush" and it still doesnt shift smoothly....

so until something breaks ill leave it but i wanted to see it this could work for a possible back up...

btw how much does a ax-15 cost a most junk yards and what year xj's...

Thanks!!
sry for the noob post... lol

T5 isn't that HD a transmission for off-road, and there are even better on-road transmissions out there.

You've got the AX-15, which is already a "decent" gearbox. Your 1993 would have the "internal" version, with the throwout bearing and slave cylinder combined into one assembly (and it's dumb as a bag of hammers. If it leaks, may as well do the whole clutch - you're there anyhow, and it only adds about 15 minutes' work to the job.)

1994-up AX-15 are 'external', using a more conventional slave cylinder that can be accessed with the transmission in place. You'd have to switch hydraulics, but it's a better option.

Also note that, if you convert to the external AX-15, you can keep your eyes open for pretty much any NV3550 that has the same input and output dimensions, and swap that out later. Simply move the bellhousing and associated parts from your external AX-15 to the NV3550 - since they're the same. And, you've just moved up the chain another rung. Just pay attention to how your transfer case is clocked - if you score an NV3550 out of a TJ, for instance, you're going to have to either replace the transfer case adapter housing or massage the transmission tunnel (the TJ is "clocked flatter," which requires more clearance above the transfer case.)

The AX-15 and NV3550 can also be found in later Dakotas with the V6 - you just have to swap bellhousings, since the Dakota bellhousing uses the Chrysler LA-block pattern, and the 242ci uses the AMC I6/V8 pattern. I do believe the input shafts are identical, however.

The OP didn't specify auto or manual did he? He mentioned it doesn't shift correctly which mande me think auto....I could be wrong. Either way, I am not sure how you would make a mustang trans work with a 4X4 setup. That being said....The T-5 is a pretty tough trans....More than one in the 10's in a 1/4 mile w/4-500hp behind them. The synchros are the weak link on them, and if you aren't power shifting they are fine also.
-Aaron

got it... so no... im not converting to 2wd(hahhahahahhahh) no way..(forgot/didnt think about that aspec..)

and i would be looking for the best offroading ability/ beating ability as i wheel pretty hard....

currently the trans that is in there isnt really shifting correctly... ( it had tons of water in it and i drained it many times and did my my own "power flush" and it still doesnt shift smoothly....

so until something breaks ill leave it but i wanted to see it this could work for a possible back up...

btw how much does a ax-15 cost a most junk yards and what year xj's...

Thanks!!
sry for the noob post... lol

Keep your eye on craigslist. You can find people parting out XJ's all the time. If you look for one before you REALLY need it, you have a better chance of getting a good deal.

Thanks guys it is an auto and after readying for about it i will keep an eye out...

Thanks for the input guys....

any think i need to check for (besides trans fluid) before jumping on a "good" deal.... i mean to sort of check to make sure it is a good trans.... im sure mileage and condition will tell ya too but any other tips to look for??

Back