• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Michelin A/T 2 vs. BFG AT KO vs. Goodyear Silent Armor

LazersGoPEWPEW

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a new set of tires since I blew out one of my mickey thompsons and all I could get my hands on at the time was a cheap pepboys tire to replace it. Those were the MT Baja Radial MTX. 30x10.50.

I've had Michelin LTX A/T before on my Bronco and didn't really have complaints about them at all.

I've been reading reviews on tirerack and it seems like the Goodyear and Michelin are up near the top whereas the BFG is kind of a midrange tire.

I don't really plan to do a lot of offroading and I'm pretty sure all I have is a stocklift.

I do want a tire that can perform in the snow as a snowy locale may be in my future.

So my issue is between the 3 which do I get. If I stay 30x10.50 I can only go with the Goodyear or BFG. They seem to rub a bit when I go over big bad bumps in the road. Haven't noticed them rubbing on the steering yet.

Part of me wants to stick with the 30x10.50 in order to keep the pepboys tire as a spare.

I'd like to get a tire that isn't going to rape my gas mileage also. I upgraded to the XJ from the Bronco partly to get a little bit better mileage and closing the gap is not what I intend to do when buying a tire.

The other size I'm looking at is the 235/75x15 for the Michelin, GY, and BFG

Not sure if it's really a substantial difference from a 30x10.50.

I've heard good things for BFG on XJs. But I've also heard they aren't as round as say a Michelin tire. Don't really know much about Goodyear as I've never driven on them.

Thanks for the advice. :us:

I worked at sears auto center before and let me tell you all three you are looking at are great tires. All three ride nice and quiet, esp the the goodyear. I sold so many of those and people would love them. The BFG KO is going to be the loudest out of the three. Michelin... well they are always going to be the highest quality.

I personaly would go with the goodyear. The silent armor is a tire that was really setting new ground when it first cam out. The cevilar belting lives up to its name and the tred design works great in mud for a all terrain.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVOs FTW.

Not cheap... but I LOVE mine. Just another option to drive you nuts. :spin1:

I 100% agree with duke00088. Purchased 2 to replace the worn out fronts and they worked amazing in the snow. The goodyear wranglers in the rear did nothing but let me slide around all over the place. Agree on the not cheap but when I get the extra $$ I'm getting them for the rear as well. Also tirerack has them in 30X9.5R15($146) or 31X10.5R15($163)

I was reading on tirerack and it said that the Revos didn't have very long treadlifes. It was an option but then I moved on to the other 3. I'm starting to lean more towards the goodyear though. I like the look of it a lot.

something to think about the GY and the BFGs have the severe weather rating in some sizes, meaning they qualify as traction devices when traction devices are required on snowy roads

look for the severe weather rating, it is a little mountain and snowflake symbol

The Silent armors are awesme. I have wrangler Silent Armors (235X75xR15) on my 99 XJ and they are awesome. They are excelent in the snow no matter how deep. Havent had to use 4WD once in the snow since i put them on. We've had some fairly Unregular snow storms this year. with the worst we got like 13 inches. No problem in it.

There Excelent off road too. Ive been in mud up to about mid tire ( pretty deep for me) and had no trouble getting out.

Better yet there excellent on the highway. Trust me, I do lots of freeway driving. Speeds anywhere from 55-85 mph. They make little noise. They handle real nice in all weather. Never had a nicer tire. Not to mention they look nice too.

Used to have Michelin radials but the XJ is rough on front tires esp. if its out of line. The sidewalls of the Michelin were very flimsy. I probably could have turned the tire inside out with my hands. I get better gas millage with these too. Get the Silent armors (235x75xR15) - you'll love them. I don't do hardcore offroading either but with what I do I couldn't ask for a better tire.

Last edited:
So what about these Bridgestone Revos??? Better than goodyear?

I have ran many tires on my jeep in the past 9 years (1997 XJ Sport 3" lift)... I put MTRs on it when I first lifted it, awesome off road but crap on the road 13,000 miles... Then, because I dont go off road as much anymore I decided to go with an all terrain... I started with the BFG AT's great tire poor tread life I think 21,000 miles... Then I went to Revos, much better than the previous tires but still only got 34,0000 miles (very respectable)... The the last time I bought tires (2 years ago) I did my homework and searched for an AT with a semi aggressive lug pattern and superior treadwear warrant... And I found my tire, the General Grabber AT 2's... These things are awesome, great off road (for an AT) 60,000 mile treadwear warranty and much cheaper than all the others... They have great features, like the rim protection bead etc... I'll never buy anything else, I put them on 2 years (31,000 miles ago) and they still have more than half the tread left... here is the tire rack and manufacturers link...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T5/Grabber-ATsup2-sup

I have the bfgs now. But I did have a set of Michelins for a while, they've been retired to the project jeep until I get new shoes for that one. I like them a lot. I think they did well in the snow, but in the rain and all around street use they were a great tire.

I have ran many tires on my jeep in the past 9 years (1997 XJ Sport 3" lift)... I put MTRs on it when I first lifted it, awesome off road but crap on the road 13,000 miles... Then, because I dont go off road as much anymore I decided to go with an all terrain... I started with the BFG AT's great tire poor tread life I think 21,000 miles... Then I went to Revos, much better than the previous tires but still only got 34,0000 miles (very respectable)... The the last time I bought tires (2 years ago) I did my homework and searched for an AT with a semi aggressive lug pattern and superior treadwear warrant... And I found my tire, the General Grabber AT 2's... These things are awesome, great off road (for an AT) 60,000 mile treadwear warranty and much cheaper than all the others... They have great features, like the rim protection bead etc... I'll never buy anything else, I put them on 2 years (31,000 miles ago) and they still have more than half the tread left... here is the tire rack and manufacturers link...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T5/Grabber-ATsup2-sup

Tire Rack reviews on these tires are off the charts. Not sure how accurate they are but I'm gona buy these this summer to find out for myself. They look like a solid choice and General has always been a trusted brand in my family. The price is good too!

GENERAL GRABBER AT/2 all the way. I worked at four different tire shops, so I do have a liitle experience seeing how tires actually work. Goodyears Suck. there is nothing else to say. Michelin is probably the very best tire made(any of them). I have owned lots of different brands of tires, and the General Grabber AT/2 has to be one of the best. My friend and I also owned a set of Yokohama Geolander AT's, if kept properly rotated they will last at least 40,000 miles. The Yokos also had great traction. I took a trip up to Colorado this last December, and ended up having to drive in the heavy snow on the highway for over 100 miles. Those Generals never slipped once at 70mph.

If you go into snow country I'd go with the Michelin. Try a 30x9.5 size. If you go to wide it will not perform like a skinnier tire would. The reason I chose Michelin is the siping or small cuts on their tire are deeper and more numerous giving you better traction on snow and ice. Good Luck.

PS If you get Bridgestone duelers make sure they are the Revo's. The other tread pattern is crap in snow due to the siping being very shallow. When new they were great. After 15k they were like slicks.

Back