• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Bilstein shock numbers/ advice

XJ858

NAXJA Forum User
I will soon be installing my Full Traction 6" lift on my 99 xj. Im very interested in using some bilstein shocks, 5100/5125/5150 series. My problem is I don't know which to order. Here is my expected setup:
6" Full Traction LA lift with JKS bar pin eliminators in the upper rear and lower front shock mounts and JKS shock mount conversions in the upper front mount.
With the JKS parks I can run eye to eye shocks correct?

I've been searching for a while and have more questions.
What # bilstein shocks are you guys running with a similar setup? I'm looking for a firm ride so 255/70 valving would be good for me right? And what about travel? What compressed and extended lenghts should I be looking for - mind you I don't have the lift installed yet. Will I need to upgrade bumpstops or add liming straps? Not a problem but would like to know what to expect.

For example the BF5-A187-H1 is a 5150 series shock with 11.93" of travel with the 255/70 valving. Its 17.78 at full compression and 29.70 at full extension. Will this fit my setup or is there something better? Thanks in advance.

Ben
-99 4.0, Auto, 242, & nuthin else

Install the lift and then measure for your shocks and bumpstops (you're going to need them). It's the only way your going to get it right, every Jeep is unique.

That being said, as soon as I can get my lift and axles off the garage floor and under my Jeep I'll be measuring for a set of Bilstein 5150 shocks with the 255/70 valving.

Last edited:
I have around 5" of lift and have Bilstein 5100s with the stiffer 255/70 valving. In the front I have 12" travel and 10" travel in the rear. I relocated the mounts on both the front and rear axles when I swapped them in and they are not close to what stock is. The best way to get the right shocks is to measure after the lift is on just like RCman said. I really like how these shocks ride on the street as well as offroad compared to the old BDS shocks I had. I think something just a little bit stiffer up front would be nice but overall they work just fine for me. I run limiting straps up front becasue I found a sweet deal on them as well as I didnt want to ruin an expensive set of shocks by over extending them. As for bumpstops....That was a trial and error thing. I cut the fenders as much as I could to fit 33s and left room for 35s. Bumpstops where made to keep 35s from completly ripping out the fenders. I have minimal rubbing on the inner fender well with my current setup. Its something you just have to do per vehicle since every one is different.

AARON

Thanks for the reply all, I was hoping to order everything at the same time and then take a few days off to install it all, but I would rather get the right measurements. It will work out though as I will be measuring the driveshaft and waiting for the mail to come anyway. thanks again

Ben

-99 4.0, Auto, 242, & nothin else

Back