• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella Rallye 4000s

RoXJok

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed my Hella Rallye 4000s. Today I was sitting at a stoplight at idle and I decided to turn on my Hellas. The voltage meter in the gauge cluster dropped about a full line. I haven't tried to turn them on while driving though. Should I consider upgrading my alternator to handle the extra power needed to run the Hellas?

what wattage bulbs in them?, and do you have them wired up w/ a relay, and grounding back to the battery with nice fat wire?

if 2000 alternators are anything like a normal 92 H.O., you could upgrade pretty easily. tons of info around.

Those are 100w bulbs right, did you use there wiring harness? How about your battery how old is it?

They are 100W bulbs. Yes I used the Hella wiring harness with their relay. The battery is a brand new Optima red top. The power and ground wires are directly connected to the battery.

I'm thinking I just need to upgrade my alternator.

Convert them to HID, and forget about amperage draw. I did all 4 of mine, and will never run a halogen bulb again.

They will be about 100 times brighter also..

HID kits cost much less than a new alternator.

~James

i was gonna suggest HID, as the draw once ignited is much less, but i was wondering what kinda temorary draw 4+ HIDs would have while igniting....
does your radio ever cut out when you turn on multiple HID's stumpxj ?(or anyone with 4+ hids)

...i know mine does on a stock alternator....

Convert them to HID, and forget about amperage draw. I did all 4 of mine, and will never run a halogen bulb again.

They will be about 100 times brighter also..

HID kits cost much less than a new alternator.

~James

Where would I locate such an HID conversion kit?

No issues whatsoever. I actually have 6 HID's on the front and run them together all the time. I have 4 Hella 4000's, and two Hella 700FF's. The HID conversion was some of the best money spent.

No flickering or hick-upping at all when they turn on.

DSCN0533.jpg

~James

If you don't go HID as some are suggesting, change the battery cables for something larger before you go with a new alternator. I just put one on my 2000 XJ out of IIRC, a Dodge dakota.

If you don't go HID as some are suggesting, change the battery cables for something larger before you go with a new alternator. I just put one on my 2000 XJ out of IIRC, a Dodge dakota.

You mean the pos and neg wires for the relay?

check out my sig for battery cables, its the best thing to do as far as getting your electrical system running right.

Doesnt really matter who you get em from, just get them and forget about Halogen. Its that big of a difference. With only two Hella 4000's, you can convert them easily for 60 bucks.

A few comparison shots for you.

Normal high beams:

SS100237.jpg

With just the 4 HID Hella 4000's on. The tree line in the far distance is over 1/4 mile away.

SS100230.jpg

This is in broad daylight. I dont care how many watts you have, you will never get light like this from a halogen.

SS100223.jpg

~James "my chump priced HID's have been going strong for over two years" Clegg.

SS100223.jpg

~James "my chump priced HID's have been going strong for over two years" Clegg.

My initial thoughts were "gee... those head lights don't look like any thing other than halogen.." Then I saw that blur of light on top.

No issues whatsoever....
~James

hrrm, guess its my setup. thanks for the response.
meant no offense by 'chump prices', sinse converting to hid, ive had numerous people come up to me as if i must have won the lottery, because their friend/neighbor just got paid $400+ for their HID's... all i can do is laugh!

here in LA, theres car shops around advertising HID 'kits' for 300+.... all i can do is laugh! tcm glx for the deals.

No offense taken, some guys think the higher something is priced, the better it will be. It holds true in many cases, but not all the time as you know.

hrrm, guess its my setup. thanks for the response.
meant no offense by 'chump prices', sinse converting to hid, ive had numerous people come up to me as if i must have won the lottery, because their friend/neighbor just got paid $400+ for their HID's... all i can do is laugh!

here in LA, theres car shops around advertising HID 'kits' for 300+.... all i can do is laugh! tcm glx for the deals.

Who or what is TCM GLX?

Back