• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HMP-200 Budget Bender Build

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I started building my Pro-tools HMP-200 with the plans I got from them some time ago. I needed a bender that I could use to make bumpers, cages, and what not for my vehicles(jeep,prerunner,bronco).

Here it goes.
DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

I had the side plates made from 3/8" steel rather then the 3/4" or whatever aluminum that pro-tools uses because steel is easier to come by. I had the guys at my dads work program it in and burn them out.

I got an HF air/hyrdo 12ton ram instead of the 20 ton pump jack the plans call for. I saved some money and I figure if it does'nt work I have a use for it. I can always buy the 20ton later. One thing to not is that the return springs for the ram are pretty close to what the bender plans call for and they come with some nice eyelets that I will use too.
DSC01013.jpg

I used 1/2" black pipe for the stabilizer tubes. The 9" long .5" bolts fit through the pipe nicely.
DSC01012.jpg

I cut the stabilizer tubes at the specified 7"

DSC01015.jpg

I went to a nut and bolt supply and got the 9" long 1" bolt for the die pivot.

I am waiting on some pieces for my roller, roller block,roller pin, and base plate.
I need to source some 1.5"x.25wall dom for my die pivot.

I will have a working total of my budget bender tomorrow.

Nice! Did they save the program for the plates? VEEEERRY interested in a set. BTW, I noticed that they dies are only rated for .134 max wall thickness.......seems thin to me?

Nice! Did they save the program for the plates? VEEEERRY interested in a set. BTW, I noticed that they dies are only rated for .134 max wall thickness.......seems thin to me?
It looks like all the dies they make are rated for .134 4130 dom so maybe thicker non chromo would be ok. I dont know really.

I will have to see if they saved the program. I hope they did.

Last edited:
So far I have no money in the side plates so my total is...

4 1/2"x9" bolts
1 1"x9" bolt with nut and two washers $10

4 1/2" nuts
8 1/2" washers
16" of 1/2" pipe $10

HF 12 ton ram with the return springs $55(after 20% off coupon)

$75 total so far(without die)

1.5" 6" radius die $270(shipped)

Total so far with the die $345

Last edited:
I now have a roller and the roller shaft so I just need to make my roller block, make the base plate, and find a piece of 1.5"x.25 dom for the die pivot sleeve.
If I can source some dom for the die pivot I could have a bend by sunday.

Here are the dies that I might set mine up to use aswell. If I can use the aluminum speedway dies and roller I can buy smaller sizes such as 1.25" and 1" for $150 each. This is just an idea. I really like the idea of the beefy pro-tools dies for the 1.5" and bigger but for the smaller stuff I think I can get away with a cheaper alternate.

91084113_L.jpg

Back to the standard hmp200 build...

Here is the roller I had machined. I had it made to spec but in hindsight I would have changed the plans so that the hole in the center was 1" instead of 1.125" because the 1" rod fits a little loose. Not that its a bad thing as far as bending but it is something that I would change.

DSC01017.jpg

I still need to cut the 1" rod to length.

DSC01016.jpg

That pic also shows the side plates I will be using to make my roller block.

I doubt anyone is interested in this build other than me but for the love of a good budget build here it goes.

I got my roller block made. I used .5"x3" for the side plates and where the ram will contact the block. The sides with the roller hole in them are 3/8".
DSC01018.jpg

I need to make a base for it now. I am thinking of using this 2x2 tube with some angle welded on so it can bolt to the bender side plates.

DSC01019.jpg

Anybody out there? F%$$ it right?party1:
Got the bender done.

DSC01022.jpg

First bend. Ignore the other smal bend; I did that with my kinker some time ago.

DSC01023.jpg

Looks good.

Looks just like my bends with the pro-tools bender. Nice job. Next time you bend something take a picture of how its mounted. I'm having trouble visualizing it vertically.

Yea I linked it to a friend that has my bender. Maybe he can build me this one and keep mine. LOL! Hint hint.

Definitely a good job. If I had the time to or could find someone to cut out the side parts, I would build one myself. If you can have some extra side plates made, I would gladly toss you some $$ for you trouble.

I started building my Pro-tools HMP-200 with the plans I got from them some time ago. I needed a bender that I could use to make bumpers, cages, and what not for my vehicles(jeep,prerunner,bronco).

Here it goes.
DSC01008.jpg

DSC01009.jpg

I had the side plates made from 3/8" steel rather then the 3/4" or whatever aluminum that pro-tools uses because steel is easier to come by. I had the guys at my dads work program it in and burn them out.

I got an HF air/hyrdo 12ton ram instead of the 20 ton pump jack the plans call for. I saved some money and I figure if it does'nt work I have a use for it. I can always buy the 20ton later. One thing to not is that the return springs for the ram are pretty close to what the bender plans call for and they come with some nice eyelets that I will use too.
DSC01013.jpg

I used 1/2" black pipe for the stabilizer tubes. The 9" long .5" bolts fit through the pipe nicely.
DSC01012.jpg

I cut the stabilizer tubes at the specified 7"

DSC01015.jpg

I went to a nut and bolt supply and got the 9" long 1" bolt for the die pivot.

I am waiting on some pieces for my roller, roller block,roller pin, and base plate.
I need to source some 1.5"x.25wall dom for my die pivot.

I will have a working total of my budget bender tomorrow.

So how is the 12 ton working out? I have one of these in my garage that belongs to a buddy... I am thinking of doing drawings from his and using the same ram if yours is working.

Works ok. Seams to be enough power for the 1.5"x.120 hrew I have bent. My main problem is I need to lube the roller better so the block will slide easier.

I like this... I 'm going to invest time on something like this soon. Did you find out if the cutting program was saved at your dad's shop? If so x3 on the side plate purchase program.

Back