• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mufflers

99_XJ_

NAXJA Forum User
Any Idea what a Cherry Bomb muffler would sound like on my Cherokee? (4.0 I6, 1999). Not necessarily a glass pack but something louder than the stock muffler. The one i have now is going bad so i was thinking aftermarket on a new one. Doesn't have to be a Cherry Bomb but something deeper and more throaty than the stock muffler.

I just put on a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler on my 98. Cost $20 from autozone. I put it on with a Magnaflow High Flow Cat, and the whole exhaust, including new cat, muffler, and piping only cost $90. That beats the hell out of every other system out there that costs at least $100 for just the muffler and piping.

And it sounds really good. It is loud, not obnoxious, but sounds good, really beefy. Makes the jeep sound like it actually has some power! For the price, it can't be beat IMO.

I just put on a Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler on my 98. Cost $20 from autozone. I put it on with a Magnaflow High Flow Cat, and the whole exhaust, including new cat, muffler, and piping only cost $90. That beats the hell out of every other system out there that costs at least $100 for just the muffler and piping.

And it sounds really good. It is loud, not obnoxious, but sounds good, really beefy. Makes the jeep sound like it actually has some power! For the price, it can't be beat IMO.

Thats the exact components I was looking at last weekend to put on mine. Notice any more power?

ya i wouldnt go cheapy on the muffler i have a 50 series flowmaster and it has a great sound and takes a beating from the rocks. imo

If you put a flowmaster 40 on it, you need to play with the length of the tailpipe to get the sound you're looking for... even an inch differenc can make a big differenc I found. My brothers and I all ran flow40's with no cat's and they all sounded completely different due to the different ways we chose to route our tailpipes.

I run no cat and a 18" cherrybomb glasspack only $20 it sounds so great. first and second it kinda loud but once it gets into overdrive its just a low steady rumble I really love it.

Keep in mind that straight-through mufflers don't count as spark arrestors and could get you tickets when offroading on BLM and National Forest Service lands. That said, I love my Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler.

I've had several exhausts on my jeep. Strait pipe only lasted a day. Thrush glasspack was on there a few years, rather loud with some backfires. The nice thing about the glasspack is that they are small and made of thick metal, pretty hard to dent. Now I have a cheap Thrush turbo muffler, still only 20ish bucks, not as loud as the glasspack, still loud enough. No backfires with it.

Go for it, glasspack isn't that bad, only problem is that they are strait and not offset like a real muffler. I had to run some flexpipe to keep the tailpipe pointed strait. I liked the sound, alot like a 280Z.

im gonna to put a flowmaster super 44 with single inlet and dual outlet and dumped with no cat, i will get back to here and let ya'll how it sounds!

im gonna to put a flowmaster super 44 with single inlet and dual outlet and dumped with no cat, i will get back to here and let ya'll how it sounds!
Ive got a super 44on my 89, great sound, it is stroked though,and still has cat , have fun with 10 mpg, it is a 99' right?pre and post cat O2 sensors if i read every other thread on here correctly.

Thats the exact components I was looking at last weekend to put on mine. Notice any more power?

I can't really say if it gave any more power. I've never noticed any real power gains in putting on an exhaust, and I've used flowmaster's, gibsons, borlas before.

For the money it was definitely worth it. It saves you a few pounds as the stock exhaust is really heavy. And I laughed when I looked inside my stock cat and saw how it was all crumbled pieces inside.

BTW, I just did a turn down tip after the muffler instead of routing it all the way back. There's no fumes inside the cabin at all and I like the fact that you can't see my exhaust unless you look for it.

el cheapo universal cat, glasspack with a turndown tip on my MJ (video was taken when I first started it after I swapped the 4.0 into it, but it gives you some idea of what it sounds like)

Jeff

not to jack the thread but what inlet/ outlet configuration is needed on the XJ? it looks like its cente in, Offset out...

It is but you can make almost anything work. I purchased a 27" thrush glasspack and I didn't have to do anything but clamp and go. Center in offset out. Any parts store can help you. 2 1/4

Well I am going for a custom 2.5" I have a new header, down pipe, expand to 2.5" then go into a SS flex pipe, Then CAT, then Muffler and out the back.

I have every thing but the muffler and the tail pipe. I am still debating on which one to get and how to get the rear pipe at a 2.5" (with out the muffler) with out paying $$$ for a custom shop to do it...

If you put a flowmaster 40 on it, you need to play with the length of the tailpipe to get the sound you're looking for... even an inch differenc can make a big differenc I found. My brothers and I all ran flow40's with no cat's and they all sounded completely different due to the different ways we chose to route our tailpipes.

Ah hah! I had an old FlowMaster 40 and loved the sound on my otherwise stock exhaust. Now I have the APN header and some straight tube bent up with a new FlowMaster 40 (with APN cat) and it sounds totally different and ricey!

It's fine in the low RPM's (nice low gurgle), but anywhere from 1800+ gets real loud. I set off car alarms almost daily shifting from 1st to 2nd at around 2200-2500 RPM's. :woohoo:

Has somebody had direct comparison experience with the FLowmaster 40? I'd like something a little more subtle...

Try a Delta Flow the 50 series or if your dead set on a Flowmaster they make a special SUV one....

Or the Delta 60 series is meant for 4 and 6 cylinders... that may sound better.... since the L6 is a Large displacement motor for being a 6 cylinder it may provide a lower note...

The only xj ive seen with a glass pack on it backfired on decel something terrible... coulda been caused by another problem though.

Im not sure which was worse, his backfire or my flowmasters angry bee sound

Back